DVI to DVI cable

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by KariAnn, Jul 17, 2010.

1. KariAnn macrumors newbie

The screen on my macbook pro recently broke. In order to back up all of my files (music, pictures, documents), I purchased a DVI to DVI cable and hooked it up to a windows monitor. While my background picture does seem to show up on the exterior monitor when I turn the computer on, none of my toolbar (which was on the left side of the macbook pro screen when working) shows up. I think I got lucky and clicked the right place, because I was able to bring my finder window onto the right screen, so I think the guts of the macbook pro are still intact. However, it would be a lot easier if I was able to just fully transfer the screen on the damaged macbook pro to the exterior monitor, so I could see exactly what I am doing. Does anyone know how to make this happen? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

2. Xavier macrumors 68020

What you want is the "Mirror Displays" button under arrangement in system pref.

Other than trying to get lucky, and drag system pref over to the other display, I don't know how you are going to be able to do it

3. davjow macrumors newbie

Use Cmd+F1 to cycle through display modes and the mirrored image should appear.

4. Makosuke macrumors 603

If you leave the Mac's lid closed and connect an external keyboard or mouse along with the external monitor, and wake the machine, it will come up in "headless" mode, in which it only uses the external.

Apart from needing an additional piece of hardware, this is how you'd probably want to use it anyway if you'd continue to use it as a desktop machine.

5. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

And this is why I visit these forums. Even the newbie's have great tips!

The F7 key used to be dedicated to this function, and I was upset when that was removed. Now I know I didn't lose that option!

jW