DVI to DVI, or DVI to VGA?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by deanjcrawford, Feb 26, 2008.

1. deanjcrawford macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

this is my first post so be gentle. (i tried searching the forums before i posted too!)

I am about to buy a Macbook the first time next week, but a few things i'm not sure about and don't want to make a mistake when purchasing.

Firstly, what is the mini-DVI video out port for? Is this so i can hook the Macbook up to a TV or external monitor? If so, what one do i want? DVI to DVI, or DVI to VGA?

Secondly, i think i already know the answer to this but my roommate is confusing me. If i want to burn DVDs, to i have to upgrade to the Superdriver as opposed to a combo driver?

Any advice will be much appreciated!!

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

whether you need miniDVI to DVI or miniDVI to VGA depends on what you are trying to connect it to. Most (modern) external monitors have both.

Yes, superdrive = dvd burner, combo drive = dvd player + cd burner.

3. 119576 Guest

Yes you need a superdrive to burn DVDs.

aaaand you will need a mini-DVI > "whatever the input on your TV/monitor is" adapter. :)

4. deanjcrawford thread starter macrumors newbie

so if i want to hook up to a TV, it doesn't matter whether i choose DVI to DVI or DVI to VGA. thanks.

5. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Well, yes, if your tv has both a VGA and a DVI input you can use either.

6. deanjcrawford thread starter macrumors newbie

i'm travelling at the moment, so i don't know what my TV will have. therefore, should i just not choose either and wait until i find out. Can i even sort this out after purchased?

sorry if these are silly questions!

7. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Wait till you know. You can just buy the connecter when you need it.

8. merc669 macrumors 6502

merc669

When I bought my MBP it came with a DVI to RCA/S-Video Combo plug. Not sure if it is included in the a MacBook only. Depending upon the TV if its a Hotel TV chances are you will be limited to either RCA or S-Video Inputs. I have not seen too many DVI or VGA for that matter at a hotel. If you do find one the DVI to DVI would be the better choice since its a Digital Signal as opposed to VGA/S-Video/RCA which are Analog Only. The Apple Store normally carries a DVI to RCA/S-Video Adapter for like 18 Dollars. If you are going from a your location to a friend's computer then the best is still DVI to DVI if they have DVI (Most Flat Panel LCD/Plasma Have both) or VGA second. By the way the rest of the cables you will neeed to go from the adapter to either the TV or Monitor can be had at Radio Shack.

Bill.....:apple:

9. methodmano macrumors member

Just get the computer now and wait to get the connector later. Very cheap and it will be painfully obvious which one you need when you take a look at your external monitor/tv.