DVI - to- HDMi converter cables

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by SmurfBoxMasta, Mar 8, 2008.

1. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

Apparently these are intended for use with the latest crop of upper-end monitors that have HDMI inputs but no DVI......

Has anyone used one, and if so, how well does it work and are there any problems/drawbacks etc......

I have my eye on a 27-30" HDMI-only monitor, but don't wanna get it without some info/feedback :p

and yes I have a DVI video card (Radeon9800pro) and a QS 1.6/Leopard that will drive a larger monitor, so thats not an issue (it's running a 22" now nottaproblemo)

TIA for any advice/info :0

2. catachip macrumors regular

catachip

I bought a DVI to HDMI cable off of Amazon for $20. I used it to hook my MacBook Pro up to my Samsung LCD TV. It worked perfectly. I also tried it in an LG LCD TV, worked there too. The picture was perfect and no problems. A LCD monitor is essentially the same thing, just higher resolution.

One thing, in regards to a TV. THe HDMI connector carries audio and video. But, DVI carries video only. Thus, when connecting to a TV, the TV "expects" there to be audio in the signal, meaning it may not accept other audio input. I had to run my audio to an external set of speakers, I couldn't make the TV accept input from the audio out jack on the MBP.

3. gothamm macrumors 6502a

I know they sell them dirt cheap on ebay, but after my 24" westinghouse monitor purchase i couldn't wait 5 days just to save $10. So i drove down to my local fry's and picked one up for $14.95.

Works flawlessly. Crystal clear digital quality. Just connect the ends, and bam: you are good to go.

4. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

www.monoprice.com is where you should get it from. They work well. I use one on my HTPC that is hooked to my 42" Toshiba LCD...

As was stated, DVI don't do audio so you have to take that into account.

5. Bertg macrumors newbie

I have an DVi to HDMI cable as well.
    When I connect it too my Toshiba the TV gets recognised but the screen stays blue, all the time.

I tried multiple resolutions, a lot of settings (disabling Lip-sync) both HDMI ports etc... but no result.

Could anyone help me?

6. SmurfBoxMasta thread starter macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

Ok, thanks to everyone for your input. Mucho gracious :eek:

And BTW....this is for large computer monitor use only, NOT a TV, so audio distribution is not an issue :)