DVI to HDMI, not as nice as DVI to VGA output

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by el3ctone, Jul 22, 2008.

1. el3ctone macrumors member

I was wondering if anyone has experienced this before.

Basically i bought a DVI to HDMI cable, and connected it to my new Samsung 46 inch LCDTV. However the quality I get from the DVI to HDMI cable, is not as CLEAR as when i used the DVI to VGA adapter, with a VGA cable. My TV is 1080P, and i have made sure that my monitor preferences are at the right setting.

hmmm....

2. weatherman316 macrumors member

Interesting...I hope someone posts their findings as I'll either be getting a DVI->VGA cable or DVI->HDMI cable to hook my soon to be purchased MBP to my HDTV.

3. newbie jnr macrumors member

i hooked mine up to a 32 inch cheapie LCD (1080i)..was fine for me.

I but since the HDMI is a higher resolution, it's harder to see things (text etc,) because it was just too small.....is that what you mean by 'not as clear'?

4. el3ctone thread starter macrumors member

Thats what i thought too, i expected HDMI to be better.
    if you do a comparison, you might see what i mean.

5. Snowbound macrumors regular

I don't know that you can claim that it's not as clear. If the resolution is too high (making the fonts and things too small) then decrease the resolution. The digital to digital signal is always going to have less quality degradation than a conversion to analog.

6. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

If things are too small you need to decrease the res not increase. ;)

7. Naplander macrumors newbie

I bought a DVI to HDMI to use to watch movies off my MBA on my 32" Bravia LCD.

I can confirm that the picture looks much sharper when using a DVI to VGA connection via the "PC input" port.

I don't know why, but it just does. :)

8. wozza macrumors newbie

I brought a DVI to HDMI cable as well for my 22" HD monitor, and in fact it was really cloudy and not very sharp at all. I thought thats just how it was but I may go and test the VGA settings to see if thats any better.

9. ionlygreat macrumors member

interesting....i was planning to get the DVI to HDMI cable but now I think I'd rather get the DVI to VGA after reading this!

10. psg0 macrumors newbie

Have you played at all with the sharpness settings on the TV when using DVI-->HDMI? I've been using the included DVI-->VGA adapter to a cheapo Monoprice VGA cable that I had around to connect my MBP to my Sony KDL-32XBR4. Picture quality is fine, but I haven't been satisfied with the sharpness of the picture, and with the way my TV is, the available picture adjustments on PC input are minimal. That, and my display doesn't support true 720p, which is the native resolution of my display, via VGA.

I was going to pick up a DVI-->HDMI cable at some point in time to get around this. I'd have to imagine that there are many more picture adjustability options when using your HDMI input on the TV as opposed to VGA.

11. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

Have you made sure both connections are running at the same resolution?

I've used both DVI-HDMI and VGA connections on my Samsung 32" screen (720p, 1366x768) and both have identical quality. I use VGA though because the screen supports stand-by in this mode. I.E. when the computer sleeps the TV goes off.

12. Eric. macrumors regular

This has to either be an issue with the TV or the way Macs output video. With HDMI you either have an exact reproduction or no video at all. I use a DVI to HDMI cable with my PC and Sharp AQUOS (1080p) and its as clear as can be. VGA is analog, so there is the potential for interference in the signal due to magnets and other things.

In other words, being HDMI isn't the problem. I think you just need to adjust the TV settings for the HDMI input.

13. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

How come it's always newbies that come up with these theories?

All digital signal (DVI to HDMI) is better than digital to analogue conversion, unless the settings are wrong.

Note many TVs are not that smart in determining the proper resolutions of computer inputs, so you might have to set it manually.