DVI to HDMI to HD TV worked fine...

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by bobsbarricades, Apr 24, 2011.

1. bobsbarricades macrumors regular

Too bad I don't have an audio jack near the tv's HDMI port. I've even went plugging the cable in to all the 1/8 plug and hanging the source but no avail.

what to do?

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

your post is confusing.
    you say it worked fine, but then it sounds like your upset it doesn't have audio.

what mac do you have?
    how to hook it up depends on what kind, and how old it is.

if you're not sure how old it is, go to the :apple: menu, about this mac, more info.
    then on the the main hardware page, there is a Model Identifier should say something followed by a couple numbers, like "Macmini4,1"
    give us that, and we can tell you what you need.

3. bobsbarricades thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for the response!

Sorry for the confusion. I've got a 2k7 MBP with the dvi out on the right. Well that plugs easy enough and get picture working but no audio (because dvi doesn't transfer audio). So I was going to go from my headphone jack to the tv...but can't get any sound at all.

4. waw74 macrumors 68030

most TVs don't include an audio in port for the HDMI.

you can use something like
    this - a dvi and digital audio combiner, that outputs HDMI.
    and one of these toslink to mini cable to connect audio from your computer to the box.
    and one of these dvi cables to connect your computer to the box.

you'll also need an HDMI male to male, to plug the box into your TV.

also look at your TV manual, or if you're using an external stereo that has digital inputs. the toslink to mini cable might come in handy.

5. BlackViper macrumors member

What are you using for sound?

If you use a stereo audio minijack to RCA then there will be separate volume controls on your Mac and TV, try turning volume up on both devices. With TOSlink there will not be a volume control on the Mac, you will have to adjust from the TV. Is there a stereo/AV system involved or are you using the speakers installed in the TV itself? Double check that you aren't mixing up the in/out ports and that the HDMI port you are using is associated with an audio input, some devices assume HDMI will carry the audio and you may need to use a specific HDMI port acocciated with the audio in jack.
    If none of the above helps, could you provide model numbers for any accociated devices(TV, stereo,amp, etc) or a pic/diagram of the Input panels on these devices.

6. xyzzy-xyzzy macrumors member

FWIW, I use that specific box referenced by waw74. Works just fine on my Mac Pro.