DVI to USB

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by rcdeacon, Aug 12, 2009.

1. rcdeacon macrumors newbie

rcdeacon

I have a ceiling mounted projector at my place of work that I need to connect to. It already has a usb cable run through the ceiling to a media control center. It currently uses a pc to run the projector but I would like to use my MacBook to connect. I already have the dvi to vga adapter but how can I change from vga to usb? Perhaps there is a different adapter I can purchase? Thanks for any insight you technologically gifted people send my way.

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

There are Video over USB solutions, but I don't know if there's anything for OS X.

You're not going to be able to "convert" DVI or VGA to a USB signal, totally different things. The solutions I mentioned use an external box and some software to output a video signal over the USB port. Again though, do some searching to find the products.

3. RMo macrumors 65816

RMo

How does it connect to the PC now (to get the display, I mean)? Surely it uses VGA or DVI rather than USB, although it may use USB for other things like audio. I don't think USB has enough bandwidth to support a (decent) video connection, but, in any case, you won't find a USB video adapter for your MacBook like you'll find DVI, VGA, and friends (although the above poster mentioned some similar possibilities).

4. rcdeacon thread starter macrumors newbie

rcdeacon

Thank you for the replies. Currently it only uses USB and a PC. We run power point presentations on it primarily but occassionally run some things off the web. I appreciate all the replies and the information.

5. monkey86 macrumors 6502

monkey86

im not sure if you can physically run video through a usb cable - if you can take a picture if the inputs on the projector - you have to be using a VGA or DVI-D cable usb cannot transmit video :)

6. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

http://www.engadget.com/2009/08/12/logitec-displaylink-certified-usb-to-dvi-dongle-handles-qwxga/

USB from the computer to a DVI input. The technology is called "Display Link." The particular model I linked to isn't out yet, but it's the most recent link I found. Engadget has had earlier models of this tech in the past.

I'm not saying I don't share your skepticism about the OP's description of the setup...that I do. I doubt a company would use then when running a long VGA cable is far easier and cheaper. That's how all our conference rooms are wired up; a desktop with a switchbox (to accommodate laptops when needed) then connected to a ceiling mounted projector with all the VGA cable hidden above the drop ceiling.

7. monkey86 macrumors 6502

monkey86

fair enough thats a good product (but its a preorder right, also im betting that the op's projector will be on the cheaper side, plus all projectors will have vga/dvi/svideo anyways so why cant the op run a monitor cable if he needs to connect that badly?