DVI to VGA help needed...

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by tnstars, Aug 1, 2008.

1. tnstars macrumors newbie

Ok, I have 75 new iMac g5's running osx 10.5.2 in my building. Last year we were given DVI to VGA adapters for them. The teachers wanted to hook them to their TV's...so I bought them a VGA to S-video adapters to hook to the DVI thinking that surely this would work and they could display their computer screen on the TV. Makes sense to me. Anyway, it doesn't work. Any ideas as to why this wonderful idea of mine didn't work? I hate messing with video equipment! Anything else I can fix...but video drives me nuts! Thanks!! Amy :confused:

p.s. - I did make sure the TVs were set to S-video and all I get is a screwy screen...you can almost make out what's on the deskop, but not quite.

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

have you tried the apple DVI to s-video adapter?
    http://store.apple.com/us/product/M9267G/A?mco=MTIxODk3Mw

I'm not sure, but i think i remember there's a little weirdness going on, in what's actually in the connector.

and check your resolution settings, make sure it is something supported by the TV. like 1024x768 (or even 800x600) if the TV's are 3:4 (regular SD tv)

3. tnstars thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeh, thanks...

Yeh, checked the resolution, changed it and messed with it but it didn't help any. I am thinking the connectors (VGA to S-video) are just not compatible with the DVI to VGA. I haven't tried (and I'm sure it would work) the DVI to S-video cause they didn't buy us any of those (dealing with a school system) so I guess we're just screwed. At least I know the connectors I bought work with our projectors...and now I have PLENTY extra. Grrrr!! :mad:

4. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I would go buy one DVI to S-video connector and try it. If that works, well, you know what you can do. I have found that connecting stuff to TVs is kinda difficult, especially with educators! They may know their stuff, but a lot of them look at a computer as if it's frickin' Voldemort.