DVI to Video sends no output

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Mother Goose, Oct 22, 2010.

1. Mother Goose macrumors newbie

I have a Macbook with a GMA 950 video card, so the S-Video/Video out should work. I bought a mini-DVI to S-Video adapter, then tried connecting both S-Video, as well as composite cables to my television.

The Macbook detects the adapter (NTSC/PAL shows up in Display Preferences), but the television receives no signal. I've tested the television's input using another device and it's fine.

So there seem to be two possibilities:

1. I have a shoddy adapter. (I'm hoping this isn't true, because it's a pain to return. It is, however, brand new)
    2. There is something wrong on the software end. Any suggestions?

I'm running Tiger 10.4.11. I'm unsure of the exact purchase date, but it's a Core Duo 1.8, so it should be around 2007.

Edit: SOLVED. I had to switch the setting from PAL to NTSC. Once I did that, it seems to now work with the composite cable. That said, it DOES not work with S-Video. This may be because my S-Video cable is shoddy or the port for the adapter does not work. That said, everything seems okay, now.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I found out that only the Apple branded TV adapters work. Does yours say "Designed in California" on the gray cable part of it?

3. Mother Goose thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes. Designed by Apple in California. Assembled in China.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The adapter was the only thing I could think of that was wrong with it. I know my '07 Blackbook works fine with a TV out adapter, just plug it in and go.