DVI to...what?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Apmaddock, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Apmaddock macrumors newbie

Hi.

I've got a G5 into which I've installed a GeForce 6800 Ultra graphics card. This card has dual DVI outputs.

I would like to connect the thing to my Plasma television. Currently, both of the HDMI ports on the television are in use, so I need to use another route. I would like to get the best resolution possible without spending a lot of money (which is why I'm not buying a $100 box to allow me more HDMI ports.)

Open inputs on the TV include component video, VGA, S-Video, and RCA. I'm fairly certain that a simple DVI-VGA cable would work, but it would knock me down to standard definition quality, which is not much fun. I have also seen DVI-component cables. Would one of these work?

What's my best option?

2. kfergiez macrumors 6502

kfergiez

VGA will not knock you down to standard definition. VGA is capable of displaying much higher resolutions than what your TV is capable of displaying. A DVI to VGA will work just fine.

3. simsaladimbamba

4. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

5. Apmaddock thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, guys. You're fast and awesome... like Superman. :rolleyes:

6. kfergiez macrumors 6502

kfergiez

Come to think of it, when I hook my MBP up to my 40" samsung tv, I find that the VGA input is clearer and sharper than if I use my HDMI connection with the same resolution.

7. seinman macrumors regular

Many TVs, especially those on the more affordable end of the spectrum, always scale their HDMI inputs, but will allow VGA to display natively. My Vizio is one that does this. So if I go with HDMI or DVI->HDMI, it gets blurry and I lose some picture around the edges to overscan... but VGA, and it's crisp and clear.

8. simsaladimbamba

Ahem, what? [​IMG]

Yeah, I didn't sea that.

But maybe a HDMI switch can nullify that?

9. waw74 macrumors 68030

granted yours is only $33 and not $100

10. simsaladimbamba

That is why I pointed to it. MonoPrice has really good prices for cables and adapters and such stuff.

And yes, I read the part about the "not wanting a 100 USD box", I just didn't read the part about the HDMI ports being full.

11. Apmaddock thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks again, guys.

I was pointed to a $100 HDMI switch at Best Buy. I figured there were better prices out there, but hadn't bothered to search for them.

If what seinman says is true, I may end up happier with the VGA than I would with HDMI, anyway.

As an added bonus, I found that I had an Apple DVI-VGA (male-female) adapter cord lying around. I still need a VGA cord long enough to reach the television, but I'm on my way.

12. kfergiez macrumors 6502

kfergiez

Heck, you could find one of those at a used computer store for about 10 cents.