DVI TV -> HDMI (Male) ->Thunderbolt/MiniDisplay Port

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by johnnyindia, Sep 8, 2014.

1. johnnyindia macrumors member

I have a Big Screen TV with only a DVI port in the back (no HDMI).

I have a long Cable that connects from that DVI port to a male HDMI connector. However my laptop only has a mini display port/thunderbolt connector (not HDMI).

I found a female HDMI to male Thunderbolt/Mini Display adapter. Will this allow me to watch netflix/etc on the big screen? Will connect audio to external speakers from headphone jack.

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

I don't see why it wouldn't.

No meaning to sound like an ass, I'm merely curious, but: Since you have everything in hand, why did you not simply give it a try instead of asking strangers on the internet?

3. johnnyindia thread starter macrumors member

I "found" as in found one online (sorry i didn't make that clear). was wondering if I should buy that adapter.

4. Freyqq, Sep 10, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2014

Freyqq macrumors 68040

that works fine. However, if you want audio to play over the TV too:

1. adapter must support audio. It will say if it does on the webpage.
    2. laptop must support audio over displayport. If it has a thunderbolt jack like you said, then it shouldn't be a problem.

EDIT: I missed that your monitor only supports DVI. DVI has no audio capabilities, so disregard above about audio. However, if you are getting an HDMI adapter, you might as well get one that supports audio.

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

Seeing as the OP mentioned in the first post his TV only has a DVI in, your comment does not apply.

Should the OP ever upgrade his/her TV though, for one with an HDMI port, then yes, this would be a good idea.