DVI VGA help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Deadman23, Jan 9, 2011.

1. Deadman23 macrumors newbie

Hey guys, ive been floating around on here lately and I need some help.

I have a macbook pro and i used my old phillips tv for a 2nd screen. Bought a DVI-I to DVI-I cable, and was working just fine. For xmas I got a Dynex 26inch. I noticed it has a VGA and not DVI input, so I figured I would buy a DVI-I to VGA adapter and still be able to use the same cable. I go to hook it up and my TV says no signal.

On my laptop it detected the tv as BBY LCD TV, but still has no picture. Is there a setting I need to change? Or is the better route going with a new DVI-I to VGA or HDMI cable?

Thanks guys!

2. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

Could be a defective cable/adaptor.

Personally, I use a little Mini Display to HDMI adaptor off of Amazon for a few bucks and that does the job really well.

3. Deadman23 thread starter macrumors newbie

Would you recommend buying a dvi-i to hdmi adapter? Or a whole new DVI-I to HDMI cable?

4. Sirmausalot macrumors 6502a

Sirmausalot

There's a difference between DVI-I and DVI-D and sometimes the VGA adapters don't work with, well, one of them.

5. Deadman23 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well i tried my room mates DVI-D to HDMI and it worked perfectly. So i guess the DVI-I to VGA just doesn't work right?

6. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

vga is not digital. dvi is. the cable wont work bc its not converting the signal. i would use a dvi to hdmi adaptor. then you will get digital quality.