DVI - VGA Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Sam*, Oct 1, 2008.

1. Sam* macrumors regular

Sam*

Right I didn't even realize this cable came with it, but anyway I found it recently

Now... I'm probably being a bit stupid but the thing is about 20cm long, how is this suppose to connect to my TV?

Do I need another cable? I tried searching the internet as you do but It all just confused me

If anyone can explain how and what I need to connect the Macbook Pro to my TV it would be very much appreciated

Thanks!

2. viggen61 macrumors 6502

Firstly, what kid of input(s) do you have on your TV ?

If you have HDMI or DVI, those are preferable to use to connect your MacBook Pro over VGA.

If your TV has HDMI and no DVI, you need an DVI-HDMI cable, and don't use the DVI-VGA cable.

If it has DVI input, you use a DVI-DVI cable, and don't use the DVI-VGA cable.

If your TV has VGA input, you use the DVI-VGA cable AND a VGA-VGA cable. Apple designed the stubby adapter cable because in the vast majority of cases, one would be connecting the MBP to a VGA monitor, which normally has a cable on it already.

:apple::apple:

3. Sam* thread starter macrumors regular

Sam*

Thank you so much! :)

Our TV has HDMI and PC input (D-sub) but I guess the HDMI is the way to go.

Also thanks for explaining about why its so small, that makes perfect sense now.

Just to check, a wire such as this (first one I clicked on google) will be fine to do the job http://www.ebuyer.com/product/130513 ?

Thanks.