DVI vs. VGA

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mc73, Jun 5, 2008.

1. mc73 macrumors newbie

I recently purchased a 15" MBP and I have it hooked up to a 20" Dell Ultrasharp Widescreen monitor. The Dell monitor has a DVI port, but I don't have a DVI cable, just the VGA cable. I'm currently using the DVI-VGA converter that came with my MBP, which works fine, but I'm wondering whether it's worth buying a DVI cable. Does the DVI cable make any difference?

Thanks.

2. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

I noticed a much better picture quality with DVI (digital) vs. VGA (analog), no interference, no noise, etc.

3. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

DVI isn't necessarily a "must-have", especially since the cable is a bit pricey compared to VGA, but I gotta say since switching to DVI on my Samsung 906bw 19", I won't go back.

My only "complaint" is that the monitor brightness adjustment is non-functional in DVI (it's only full brightness), but that just may be something about the Samsung.

4. waw74 macrumors 68030

You can order online MUCH cheaper than you can find a cable at best buy.
    monoprice.com has much cheaper deals on cables.

quick look at DVI cables, has them in the $8 to $10 range. VS the probably $50 to $75 you'd find at best buy.

And it's digital, so basically it works or it doesn't. You mostly don't have to worry about degraded signals unless you are going LONG distance.

5. Pigumon macrumors 6502

Pigumon

Yeah there's a difference, and for DIGITAL cables, buy online, they are super cheap and there's "no such thing" as interference on digital stuff.

In other words, all the stuff the guys at best buy tell you in order to sell you $100 monster cables is completely false when it comes to digital cables like DVI or HDMI.

I bought 10' DVI to HDMI cables on ebay for $5 a piece. They work GREAT!
    :D:):D:cool:;)

6. mc73 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. It sounds like for the 8-10 bucks, it might be worth it to get a DVI cable.

I have noticed that there are different ones out there (DVI-I, DVI-D, etc.). What's the difference and how do I figure out which one I want/need?

Also, has anyone else experienced what JohnNotBeatle has about not being able to adjust the brightness of the monitor when using a DVI cable?

Thanks again!

7. henchosbandito macrumors member

defitely DVI. I switched from VGA to DVI recently and the difference was instantly noticable - the colours are much more vibrant and the picture quality seems improved as well (although im not sure that this is a by product of better colour)

8. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Buy the DVI cable. VGA looks really fuzzy by comparison once you've gotten used to the digital connection.

9. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

DVI-I carries both analog and digital signals. DVI-D carries just the digital signal. It shouldn't make a difference which one you get, since the port on the MBP outputs DVI-I (which can accept either cable).

Most monitors still allow you to adjust the brightness when connected with DVI (both of my Dells and my Apple Cinema Display do). If yours doesn't, then you should still be able to adjust it in software.