dvi vs vga

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by grooveattack, Jan 29, 2009.

1. grooveattack macrumors 6502a

so i got a new monitor (22" HD) and it is hooked up to my MBP via a VGA cable.
    i am considering getting a dvi to hdmi cable but was wondering if i will really see that much difference.

i googled it but there seems to be alot of conflicting advise and opinions
    can anyone help?

2. reh macrumors 6502a

Yes, I've always noticed a considerable improvement using DVI on a digital display (such as an LCD) over VGA.

3. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Theres lots of reasons why but basically DVI is much better, it allows for higher resolutions and dual links. VGA's been around since 1990 and is getting outdated now.

4. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

From what I have seen DVI provides a crisper image than VGA. Mainly because it is lossless.

With VGA their is conversion that takes place
    Digital to Analog to Digital

While with DVI you are getting
    Digital to Digital

Now for cables I would suggest going to Newegg for far cheaper cables than available at a store like Best Buy. Unlike Analog the quality of the cable does not matter. Either the Digital signal does or does not make it through. While with VGA you contend with interference from resistance of the cables and outside influences such as electromagnetic from power cords that it passes making the quality of a cables shielding and amount of resistance matter.

5. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

I recently switched from VGA to DVI on my iMac's auxiliary monitor. noticed the picture was much crisper.

as said above, the main reason is that it's a 'lossless' cable.

on a side note, i also updated all of the cables in my loungeroom (spent quite a bit of time and money on them), improved audio and visual quality out of sight.
    i tell you now, if you have a recent model LCD/plasma tv, and don't have monster cables (or near to it) connecting your devices, your only getting half of what your system can deliver.

6. jayman99 macrumors member

I have always opted for monitors that included DVI. I found this connection to be more clear and easier to color calibrate. If I am not mistaken, I believe DVI offers higher resolutions than VGA. I'd highly recommend if you have the option to use DVI over VGA, by all means do-so.