Dvorak Speaks His Wisdom

barneygumble

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2005
Daveway said:
J.C. Dvorak our good ole pal wrote a great article about Windows Vista and how it could mark a downward spiral for Microsoft and a rising of Apple and linux.
Clink
interesting, thank you :)

Cooknn

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Myers, FL
I've always liked John. E-mailed back and forth with him a couple of times. He's coming around ;)
Right now, and as much as x86 users do not want to admit it, the Mac OS is already better than Windows in its modern look and feel as well as its functionality. I see too many smart people with Mac laptops nowadays.

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
J.C. Dvorak said:
If the world changed tomorrow to 85 percent Mac "OS x86" its laptop sales alone would triple overnight.
While I don't necessarily agree that Apple will open up Mac OS, I do agree that, if they did, their hardware sales would increase over current volume.

Thus far, Apple has shown no intent to open up Mac OS to run under anything but Apple hardware. If they make that bold move, after they complete the move to Intel architecture, I'm not sure their hardware market dies like many have postulated. Heck, people buy Sony PC's when they could buy cheaper Dell boxes, don't they? And they still run Windows, last time I checked.
There will always be a market for nice high end hardware design, and nobody is doing that better than Apple these days. Sure, some of the current Mac market will migrate to cheaper boxes, but if Apple would potentially lose 30-50% of their current share and pick up a 5-10% stake in the larger market they are currently excluding themselves from, that's a win for them.
Yes, Mac OS wouldn't run as stable or as secure on just any old config. And that's exactly why I would continue to buy Apple hardware, even if they do open it all up.

Makosuke

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
I honestly don't get this guy. It's like he's got two or three personalities, or several ghost writers who completely disagree with each other.

One minute, he's writing something that makes a reasonable amount of sense, like this article commenting on the potential lameness of WinVista (or whatever it'll end up being abbreviated). The next he's spouting vitriolic anti-Apple rhetoric, and a minute later, he's commenting on some curren technological phenomenon from a perspective that's so amazingly uninformed you wonder if the sum total of his research is what is intern mentioned to him over coffee.

I'd cite links, but all you have to do is read over a few of his past columns, and it's pretty obvious.

Still, on this one case, I mostly agree with whichever personality is writing today.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Whenever Dvorak speaks, a horse somewhere starts looking very skinny. What is he on about? How does an x86 Mac figure into his analysis? A Google OS? Where? When? HOW? And since when has Microsoft ever delivered on what they promised? And since when has that ever really mattered?

Come on, Dvorak -- make an effort for a change. You've been coasting longer than you've been peddling.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
Makosuke said:
I honestly don't get this guy. It's like he's got two or three personalities, or several ghost writers who completely disagree with each other.

One minute, he's writing something that makes a reasonable amount of sense, like this article commenting on the potential lameness of WinVista (or whatever it'll end up being abbreviated). The next he's spouting vitriolic anti-Apple rhetoric, and a minute later, he's commenting on some curren technological phenomenon from a perspective that's so amazingly uninformed you wonder if the sum total of his research is what is intern mentioned to him over coffee.

I'd cite links, but all you have to do is read over a few of his past columns, and it's pretty obvious.

Still, on this one case, I mostly agree with whichever personality is writing today.

I agree completely. Dvorak is either a nutcase, or is a pseudonym being used by multiple writers.

Chaszmyr said:
I agree completely. Dvorak is either a nutcase, or is a pseudonym being used by multiple writers.
Actually, he is a real (that is, physical, legal) person. He used to be hard-core Mac, and in fact co-starred with Jean-Louis Gassee on an Apple Software Developer's CD dating to the early 1990s. There were some audio tracks on that CD and both J-L G and JCD spoke.

There's no question the man's nuts, and has been ever since I can remember. And that, my friends, is a long, d@mn way...