dvr and intnernet explorer problem

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bmms8, Jun 24, 2009.

1. bmms8 macrumors 68020

Hello i have a DVR system setup in my business to remotely view my camera system. unfortunately it does not work with safari or even firefox to my understanding. i installed IE 5.2 on my macbook and even that will not work. does anyone know how to get around this? i would love to use safari or even FF to view my cameras. hopefully my last option is to install xp on my mac? please let me know, thanks in advance!

2. pdjudd macrumors 601

Unfortunately the IE that was for mac was killed off my Microsoft years ago and was not even compliant with Windows IE. More than likely the camera uses some kind of Windows-only technology what requires a Windows version of IE.

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

4. bmms8 thread starter macrumors 68020

hey thanks for that site. i installed the IE but it still does not work. can you please explain to me how to change the "agent" as i dont even know what that is, thanks take care!

5. bmms8 thread starter macrumors 68020

hey i looked up how to change the agent and i tried that but it did not work as well. please let me know if you have any other suggestions, thanks!

6. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Changing the user-agent, in this case, won't help. It sounds like the site uses ActiveX, which only true IE can use. You'll need to run a virtual machine with Windows like Parallels or VMWare (or Bootcamp) to run Windows and IE. Try complaining to the developer of the camera to make a Mac compatible interface.

7. bmms8 thread starter macrumors 68020

hey thanks for your quick response. i guess it doesnt have to do with the cameras but more of the dvr system itself. can you tell me what you recommend between parallels, vmware, and bootcamp as i have never thought of running xp on my machine, thanks!

8. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I've only used Parallels so far. Bootcamp involves dual booting and since you're just needing it for IE that may be overkill. That said, it is free whereas Parallels and VMware Fusion cost money (both are $80). I'd recommend reading over some articles that compare the two to see what will best meet your needs. Here's one such article. With virtual machines one thing that makes a difference is how much RAM you have as you are running two operating systems at the same time.

9. bmms8 thread starter macrumors 68020

thanks ill take a look. i guess boot camp might be my only option as using logmein to view a pc with xp to see the camera system does not work well at all, thanks again!

10. nnmmdd macrumors newbie

Bootcamp

Hi, I'm having the same problem. Did the bootcamp work for you?