Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattwolfmatt

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 7, 2008
Currently I live on a college campus, and our TV signal is a coax cable that just runs in the house through the wall. There is no cable box. We have 10 or so HD channels but the rest are SD. I also have a 2009 Mac Mini 2 GHz Intel Duo with 4GB RAM. Also an Apple TV2, but I doubt that will help us.

I am looking for a DVR type functionality. From my research, it appears the EyeTV HD is a good bet. My only concern is our (unique??) situation of only having the coax come in, with no box or dish. There doesn't appear to be a coax in on any of the hardware I'm seeing here. Can I just use a coax to component converter to get the signal ready for the EyeTV HD?

Of course I'll use an external HD.

Any other suggestions? Thanks!

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
From my research, it appears the EyeTV HD is a good bet.
You might want to research a bit more. From their site (emphasis mine):

EyeTV HD is the only solution that gives you full access to all your premium content by connecting your Mac directly to your cable or satellite receiver.
In other words, it doesn't have a tuner. That's why there's no coax connection. ;)

mattwolfmatt

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 7, 2008
How about EyeTV One?

Never mind. I just found the Homerun, that looks live a winner. Sweet.

Last edited:

northy124

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2007
HD Homerun is the one you want from Elgato, it is the only one where you plug the cable straight in to the box rather than go through a cable box first :)

ReggaeFire

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2003
HD Homerun is the one you want from Elgato, it is the only one where you plug the cable straight in to the box rather than go through a cable box first :)

No, it's not. The Hybrid would be the most direct choice, as it connects the coax to USB. The One does this as well, but only works with OTA (no clear-qam tuner, so if you're using a cable service you'll need the Hybrid). The HDHomerun plugs the coax into a box, which you then connect to your network. Works fine if you're all ethernet, not so great if you use wireless.

Hberg

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2009
Overland Park, KS
No, it's not. The Hybrid would be the most direct choice, as it connects the coax to USB. The One does this as well, but only works with OTA (no clear-qam tuner, so if you're using a cable service you'll need the Hybrid). The HDHomerun plugs the coax into a box, which you then connect to your network. Works fine if you're all ethernet, not so great if you use wireless.

I use the Hybrid as well on two different Mac minis and it works just fine with coax cable without a Cable TV box.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.