DVR to imac..

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by axeldtf, Oct 10, 2012.

1. axeldtf macrumors 6502

I was wondering if there was a way to transfer some of my recorded dvr programs onto my mac to edit or compress..

I own a comcast-motorola DVR model [DCX3400m] which has a usb port in the front and a firewire cable in the back.

I also own an elgato eye-tv which allows me to record clear qam channels.

Can any combo of these items allow me to transfer my recordings?

Any help would be appreciated..
    Thanks

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I also have a comcast dvr. I've been round and round with their tech support and they claim I can't copy anything to a usb stick. I don't know if there are any "hacks" out there but I haven't been very serious about solving this.

Our comcast channel lineup is badly shuffled with numbers like 115.118 and the like. Beyond this, they randomly scramble channels. I doubt you can have a very good experience trying to use eye-tv with Comcast. I've been working to wean our family off comcast and use only amazon prime and netflix videos. So far not so good but I intend to keep trying.

It might be possible to set up the comcast box so it outputs on channel 3. You could then play things back and record them with the elegato. This would be tedious and time consuming but it is an option.

3. axeldtf thread starter macrumors 6502

Cool, thanks i'll give that a try..