Dvx & Xvid on Front Row

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jaguarx, Nov 21, 2007.

1. jaguarx macrumors regular

Hello,

I've been trying to get divx and xvid movies playing through front row, I've made some progress but I just can't seem to get it to work.

I added the codecs, they play find through quicktime, when i browse to them via front row it shows a picture of the video but when it actually plays it's just a blank screen. The length is correct but no picture, no sound. Anyone got this going?

2. TheStu macrumors 65816

IS this Leopard or Tiger?

Have you installed Perian?

3. theadz01 macrumors newbie

I have always been able to get DivX to play on Front Row, as long as it is in the movie folders and the codec is installed in Quicktime, it works fine.

If only I could get them on my iPod as well! :rolleyes:

4. jaguarx thread starter macrumors regular

5. TheStu macrumors 65816

Perian is king... VLC will play more, and sometimes more smoothly... but Perian lets you play most anything in Front Row, and Front Row is where it's at!

6. mmendoza27 macrumors 6502

I installed Perian it's good to watch a variety of stuff using Front Row. Still like VLC, but VLC doesn't work as well when streaming HD video to my MBP.

However, does anyone know how to play .ts files and HD mpeg-2 files in Front Row on Leopard?

7. TheStu macrumors 65816

.ts files will not play by default with anything but VLC (at least last I checked), and what is the codec info for the HD mpeg-2 files? Or is that stuff like HD-DVD and blu-ray?

8. mmendoza27 macrumors 6502

I actually think the stuff to play Blu-ray and HD-DVD files is VC1 codec, I believe they are .evo files, which VLC on Mac OS X really doesn't play nice with.

I have some mpeg-2 files that I guess are compressed with some codec that QuickTime doesn't read, they never seem to play. I guess I could go get some more information when I go home.