DVX100 vs, HVR A1U.

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Sdougherty, Nov 20, 2009.

1. Sdougherty macrumors member

hey looking to purchase another camera for school, right now i use a Canon GL1 and im not happy with it at all. i have been using my friends JVC HD110 but i cant afford to dish out the clams and get one, i narrowed my choices down to a panasonic dvx100 so i can shoot in 24p or the HVR A1U which was recommended. I also dont really want to spend more then $3,000.

im very open to suggestions as well if you guys have another recommendation. =]

2. Sdougherty thread starter macrumors member

3. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

a used DVX100b (should be around $1400) is the perfect cam for student films.

4. romanaz macrumors regular

romanaz

the A1U has the option of HD whereas the DVX does not. Although I've used the DVX and I can say color reproduction is pretty good, I personally hated the damn thing and refuse to use it at my uni, in leui of our JVC HD110u and the HD700.

My biggest concern on the DVX is the fact that its not an easy camera to work, to me it was a glorified handycam w/ a lens on it. Granted I know a lot of people love the DVX, its not a bad camera, but IMO for the price, you can do better. I would personally say, the A1u based on the price, its features (HD capability vs not on the DVX) and its got a Zeiss lens, which generally tend to be of high quality.

Just my humble opinion, if you had the money, I'd say the JVC HD700 all the way, but thats 7000 bucks!

5. Sdougherty thread starter macrumors member

im grave digging on this thread here but if you still frequent these forums, i actually bought the JVC GY HM700U SS =P