Dwarf Fortress (now available for OS X)

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by augustgarage, Mar 18, 2008.

1. augustgarage macrumors newbie

I just noticed that one of my favorite Windows games has been ported to OS X: Slaves to Armok II: Dwarf Fortress

This is an incredibly immersive game with radically basic graphics (almost like ASCII), ridiculous attention to detail, and a devilishly complicated learning curve (I had to use the Wiki just to figure out how to navigate the manual).

Others have described rather aptly as "...a mix of Nethack, SimCity, Dungeon Keeper, and the Lemmings."

So yes, once you get into it, say goodbye to your free time...

2. filthandfury macrumors member

lol.

lol. I want to see this game on "apple hot news" apple page.

"Breathtaking graphics, cutting edge sound effects; possible only by the power of a Mac"

someone should port "REALMS" to OS X if your going to talk about bad/awesome old RPGS.

3. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

That'll be cool. I've been interested in Dwarf Fortress ever since it was featured on jayisgames.com (an excellent site for discussion of online / casual games), but couldn't be bothered to boot Windows to play it.

I played the early Moria, completed Angband with a yeek priest, and played through TOME (Angband variant) with a Rohan lord, then lost interest in the variants (too many silly rules like Nethack).

Will be interesting to see what Moria in 2008 is like.

The Avernum series is a pretty good look at old school rpg updated to modern era. I played through a couple a couple of years ago, and was pleasantly diverted.

http://www.avernum.com/

4. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

Not compatible with GMA950 cards eh? LOL

5. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Really? I hope you're pulling my leg, but it would be really amusing (and frustrating) if even a rogue-like was too much for the GMA950.

6. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

was being sarcastic from the previous quote.

7. augustgarage thread starter macrumors newbie

:D

That would be pretty sad. On the other hand, Dwarf Fortress is actually surprisingly CPU intensive and does benefit from a decent graphics card (to maintain reasonable frame-rates) despite the highly rudimentary graphics. I get some lag running it in full screen mode even with my Macbook (2.2Ghz, 4Gb RAM, 7.2k HD).

8. filthandfury macrumors member

sigh

i've been a diehard macgamer for 10+years; but information like this makes me wonder why...

your $2k apple lags running software with 8bit atari graphics.

seems like mac games used to run on par with pc games pre os x. wtb os 9 PPC port of quake wars; kthx. (still making payments on a g5 "powerhouse")

9. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

Well, SuperPI beats the crap out of my Mac pro and it's only lines of text :rolleyes: my guess is Dwarf Fortress is extremely CPU-intensive, even if the graphics are rudimentary, it's complex gameplay makes it a hardware-hog, I'm sure it's demanding on Windows as well.

10. mongrol macrumors regular

Dwarf Fortress uses OpenGL to display its tilesets. Just because the tilesets are not highly artistic doesn't mean it's not throwing a ton of stuff around on screen. Although, having said that, its an extremely CPU intensive program. Couple that with the immaturity of the Mac port and thats why a beefy machine is needed to run it. Let's just be grateful its been ported at all.

11. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

It's CPU intensive yes. The wiki has a whole section on maximising framerates, and that's for Windows machines.

12. MonkeyCookie macrumors newbie

http://fromearth.net/LetsPlay/Boatmurdered/

This is a very amusing story about Dwarf Fortress that gives you an idea of what the game involves. Those dwarves really have their own personalities, and it often gets quite amusing when they become mentally disturbed. Since the story was written, many more features have been added to the game. It's no surprise to me that it is incredibly CPU-intensive. All sorts of little details are present in the game, and they all use processor time.

The basic graphics are due to the creators focusing more on gameplay. Better graphics may come in the future, but they are a low priority.

This story made me want to play, although I haven't yet had the time to really site down and learn it. The Dwarf Fortress Wiki is an interesting read.