DXG camcorder mac compatibality?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by DavidJones, Jun 7, 2008.

1. DavidJones macrumors newbie

Hi yes I have made this post on mac-forums.com but I found this site and it looks like it is a bi more specific in terms of camcorders. So:

I was thinking of getting the DXG-566V, but I don't know if it will work with my computer, so before I drop $150 I was hopeing someone could tell me if I am buying a camcorder that I can use. Here is the link to the Best Buy page:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8746798&type=product&id=12026491 78876

I am going to use iMovie v4. I have a Dual 1.8 GHz PowerPC G5 running on 10.4.11. I think the camcorder manual said it records in H.262 (I think) and something about being wraped in .mov. Any help would be great!

Thanks

David

2. -DH macrumors 65816

Probably h.264 which is a variation of the MPEG-4 codec family. This is a format that was originally designed for final delivery - NOT for editing. So the answer to your question is no, the camera itself probably won't work with your Mac. But if you have a high speed (Firewire or USB 2.0) media card reader, you should be able to copy the files from the camera's SD card and then use MPEG Streamclip to convert them to a format that iMovie works with. Kind of a P.I.A. work-around, but it should work.

I'd recommend purchasing an SD card, go to the store and see if they'll let you record some footage in the store with a demo model. Take the SD card back home and see if it works before you buy the camera.

-DH

3. DavidJones thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for answering! So... I have to get a SD card reader, then get the files and drag them into Streamclip; convert them and import them into iMovie? I heard the Aiptek works better with iMovie, but the DXG I am looking at has much better night time capabilities (I hear). I don't know what to do now. All I know is that, I don't want a mini DV. I had one (I actually still have it). All that tape stuff breaks way to easy. What to do... What to do... :confused:

4. -DH macrumors 65816

You must be using cheap tape! I've been shooting DV tapes for 8 years now, usually close to two hundred per year ... and have NEVER had one break.

By the way, your Mac MAY read the SD card while it's still in the camera and connected via USB ... but I can't guarantee that it will.

-DH

5. DavidJones thread starter macrumors newbie

I got my camera at best buy, as an "open item". So that could be it. Still I want a SD camera. If I have to do all that converting stuff, that SD camcorder is out of the picture. Anyone here know if the Aiptek A-HD+ camcorder works on mac?

EDIT: If it is between the SC-D382 Samsung - MiniDV Camcorder and the A-HD+ Aiptek, what would you choose?

6. DavidJones thread starter macrumors newbie

I really need to know if the JVC GRD770 is compatible with mac. Can someone help. It uses mini DVs. I need to know before it is gone.

7. -DH macrumors 65816

The GR-D770 does have a Firewire In/Out so it should be compatible with iMovie, FCE or FCP. Firewire is also known as DV, iLink and IEEE1394.

-DH

8. DavidJones thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you! :D