DxO mark explained

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by akash.nu, Oct 13, 2017.

1. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

This is an awesome explanation of what it all means and why the rating doesn’t matter much. It all depends on what the user like.

2. spooky23 macrumors 6502

spooky23

I love MB. Production is always on point and slick presentation too.

I dislike how dumbed down our culture of content is. I get it, the internet is a big old place and we don't have the personal mind bandwidth to consume all the information. So we get given broad headlines that doesn't paint the whole picture that everyone repeats 1000 times like it's the definitive truth.

3. sumsingwong macrumors 6502a

sumsingwong

I remember when everybody was saying the higher the MP the better and it was all about bragging rights. Some uneducated consumers still make their buying decisions based on those numbers. Now It's the Dx0 mark score that's a selling point for smartphone manufacturers.

4. oplix Suspended

oplix

He inadvertently exposes DxOMark while at the same time trying to legitimize them. Funny video

5. roeiz macrumors 65816

roeiz

6. noobinator macrumors 603

noobinator

Not at all for a smartphone. Would you rather have 20+MP with substandard quality?

7. sumsingwong macrumors 6502a

sumsingwong

Why would it be outdated? You plan on posting your photos on a billboard?

8. roeiz macrumors 65816

roeiz

Of course not, but 16MP seem like a sweet spot.

Not at all, but still even on a monitor or photoshop, the limit in sharpness is too low.
    Its not the end if the world but nevertheless.

9. PBz macrumors 68020

PBz

Broad headlines and information is making us dumber..

10. noobinator macrumors 603

noobinator

The sweet spot should be in the results of the pictures, not a #.

11. spooky23 macrumors 6502

spooky23

Honestly think some people just read the headline and run with it. Instant soundbite society. Those producing the headlines and articles are blatantly being pressured to produce click bait - even when there is sometimes decent content on offer. They still craft the article with monetisation the priority. I'm generalising, I know.

12. barkomatic macrumors 601

I watched this yesterday and it's very good. You should take your usage pattern into account when selecting a smartphone based on the camera and not pay as much attention to the overall score.

The cameras on most high end smartphones are so comparable anyway, that you can hardly go wrong. The only thing I watch our for these days is to make sure the manufacturer didn't make a rare mistake with the camera ending up being a dud.

I have a feeling if the iPhone X doesn't at least match the 98 score the Pixel got, people will be up in arms without understanding what it even means.

13. roeiz macrumors 65816

roeiz

There is no sweetspot for subjective taste..
    I dont mind lower MB its just nice to have a bit more sharpness sometimes.

14. Relentless Power, Oct 13, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2017

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

In fairness to the average iPhone consumer (Non-Tech), they have no idea what Dx0 even is, let alone ratings and scores. They simply rely on what they think they know or hear through marketing, etc. So naturally those 'Uneducated' consumers inclined to believe what they're told or what makes sense to them based on what they think they understand.

15. akash.nu thread starter macrumors 604

akash.nu

I think all of us nerds have at least one such person in their life to relate to.

16. sumsingwong macrumors 6502a

sumsingwong

With these tiny sensors on a smartphone, higher MP's will just start destroying the images in low light. Unless you start using long exposures. But then you will need a tripod and I don't think the average consumer will carry those around. Pixel peeping is a lost cause when it comes to smartphone camera images. We can always sharpen them up in post processing anyways.

17. iSayBoourns Suspended

iSayBoourns

The sharpness you speak of is more to do with the tiny sensor and tiny lenses than the MP.

4K video is super sharp, but 4K video is technically just slightly over 8MP in size. 12MP is a fair amount above 4K.

The biggest factor is the optics and sensor size (physical size, not MP size) capturing the image.

18. pika2000 macrumors 601

He just exposed how lazy other tech bloggers are. Great job! Love his videos and his commentaries.