iPad Dyed Smart cover with uneven finish

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by antipasti, Jul 23, 2013.

1. antipasti macrumors newbie

Today I dyed my tan leather smart cover. As you can see in the picture, the upper right side is significantly darker, either because of extra amount of polish (I used brown shoe polish) or possibly because I rubbed it too hard and wore it out somewhat.

Any suggestions on how to make the finish more even? Either making that spot lighter or some way to make the whole rest of the smart cover darker (but even looking) work for me.

[​IMG]

2. DarkAether macrumors regular

I like it as is. It's got a great vintage broken in leather look.

3. antipasti thread starter macrumors newbie

I decided to leave that dark corner as it is in order not to make it worse and I used a leather cleaner and a conditioner to remove excess dye and treat the leather. This is the final result. The more I see it the more I like it, it has character.

What do you think?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. mncmoore macrumors regular

mncmoore

5. bkar89 macrumors regular

bkar89

Brown shoe polish eh? I used some sort of mineral fat, meant to seal leather. Worked out quite nice and even.

The leather used in the smart cover really sucks up anything you put on it. Applied a couple of layers already, and apparently a couple of rounds to go.

So if you're not happy with how it looks now, you might try som leather balm or fat.

But it didn't look that bad. Eventually it'll get a worn look anyway