Dyeing a Vaja leather case

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by spangenberg, Jun 2, 2012.

1. spangenberg macrumors member

I found a really good deal on a Vaja Case for my iPad. Problem is its a bright white and it really doesn't look that good. Is there anyway to dye/stain it?

I thought I saw a thread on here about staining a smart cover to make it browner, but I cant find the thread/pics.

Is this something that I could potentially do? I figure I would just have to apply "chemicals" to strip the leather and then re-stain it....correct?

Thanks

2. kodeman53 macrumors 65816

Have you googled, 'staining leather' or 'dying leather'?

3. spangenberg thread starter macrumors member

Yes

I was posting to see if anybody had personal experience doing so......

4. kodeman53 macrumors 65816

I am sure all the people who bought the wrong color, leather case for their iPad and then dyed them will chime in soon.

Good luck!

5. Bob- macrumors newbie

I remember that post...the guy had a grey smart cover that he dyed with motor oil...not sure if that is the best idea although it did look good.

6. glen e macrumors 68030

Don't try yourself, not a white one , you won't get it uniform ....get it done

7. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

I had a light tan smart leather cover that got all smudged up and full of fingerprints before I got it home. I tried to dye it black. For me unfortunately it didn't come out all that good. The dye job was easy to get uniform but it didn't really sink in well and if it got scratched a bit the dye would literally come off and the tan would show through. I think because most of the leathers used are treated the dye doesn't really sink in to the leather but more stays on top. It's kind of like with shoes - the dye works best where the scuff is due to the actually leather being able to pull in and take the dye.

That's too bad that you don't like the vaja. Is there any chance you can return it or sell it. I'm afraid the dye job will just ruin it. I ended up throwing out the dyed smart cover.

8. takeshi74 macrumors 601

If you haven't dyed leather before you won't want to start with a Vaja case no matter how good of a deal you got.

Not necessarily. Depends on the leather. Even Vaja uses different leathers for their products.