DYI Fusion drive setup

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by wysiwyg1972, Jul 21, 2014.

1. wysiwyg1972, Jul 21, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2014

wysiwyg1972 macrumors member

So I bought a Mac mini. My first Mac since my powermac 7100/66 running system 8 many many moons years ago (1994?). No, I have not been using the same computer for so long. I actually moved to the dark side and now am ready to go back (and learn Mac OS all over again)..... Anyhow, to my question..

Got the mini i7/2.3/1TB late 2012 and immediately decided to install a SSD before even starting to use it.. Got myself a doubler kit from ifixit and waited for it to arrive with the Mac waiting in its box :)

One I install the 2nd drive, I was planning to make my own fusion drive, but have been advised against it. Apparently it won't behave like a real "Apple fusion drive". Is this true? From what I hear, in the DYI setup, all files are copied to SSD until full rather than just moving the commonly used files like the real FD do. Is this true? If so, I will just keep both separate and manage it myself.

Thoughts?

THX

2. ColdCase macrumors 68030

Most of the older terminal command type setups didn't make true fusion drives. Using the functions built into OS 10.9+ is suppose to create a true fusion drive in a mini. There are several guides about... I don't have a reference handy. I'm sure someone will jump in here soon.

Oh here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1707008&highlight=diy+fusion

3. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

I'll just say I have the same machine, wether that matters or not.
    I added a Samsung 840Pro 256 SSD then started reinstalling Mavericks, the moment I entered Disk Utility from my USB Boot drive, DU noticed an SSD + a HDD and asked if it should "fix" my fusion drive. Well, this machine never had a fusion drive but this is what I wanted so I thought why not and Mavericks created the Fusion Drive prior to installing the OS.

All I can say is that I am showing a 1.25GB single drive and I'm getting 500+MB/s read and writes.
    Is this what I wanted? Yes
    Is this exactly what a fusion drive does? Exactly? I don't know and it isn't "that" important.

I just wanted more space than the 1 SSD I had but I wanted faster read and writes than the 1 HDD I had and this gave me the best of both worlds.

4. blanka macrumors 68000

If you're a fan of Apple's user home folder system, use fusion. If you like you're own structure for files use it as 2 drives. You can also use Timemachine for internal backups of the OS with 2 drives.

5. jg321 macrumors 6502

Agreed with this. Older versions of disk utility were not fusion aware. It was 10.8.something (3 or 4), that began to create true fusion drives.

6. wysiwyg1972 thread starter macrumors member

Ok, thanks. So it learns, just like the Apple ones, correct? Also if I boot into the recovery partition and do the "fix" when prompted, it will create the fusion but retain my recovery partition, right?

7. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Look at Dark Dragoon's DIY Fusion fix thread post. See if it helps you in your new 10.9 Fusion drive.

8. haravikk macrumors 65816

Any SSD should work just fine now, so long as it's faster than your HDD at least, as Core Storage apparently does test the disks before deciding whether to make a Fusion Drive or not. While SSDs are generally much faster than HDDs, some older, smaller ones are actually pretty slow (particularly on write speeds). If you've got any more recent SSD though it should be fine.