Dying 2006 24inch iMac advice needed.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by setasai, Jun 20, 2011.

1. setasai macrumors member

I am in need of some advice. I have a 2006 C2D 24inch iMac with the Nvidia 7300GT that has been having those wretched video issues. The lines across windows, some video tearing, some crashes when it overheats, and the classic shadowing of closed windows. It has been getting increasingly worse over the last year with the last few months being a nightmare. I've dealt with it as much as I can but I think it's time I made a decision.

My question is, in this day and age, what would you guru's here recommend I do with it? My choices that I see are as follows:

1)trash/donate it to some charity type place
    2)sell it whole or sell it for parts (not really sure what it would be worth)
    3)spend the money on a replacement video card and HOPE that it fixes it

I dont particularly need a new computer. I just bought a macbook air and that is sufficient for now but I just cant stand having a half dead computer that I cant really use but is taking up space. So, what would you do with it?

2. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Personally I'd donate it to Goodwill for an inflated tax deduction. Does the MBA get you by? If so, you might replace the iMac with a monitor and keyboard/mouse for the MBA and have a desktop at home and a laptop otherwise. :)

3. Archon Gold macrumors 6502

When my old 2006 17" C2D iMac had screen issues they replaced the screen for free even though it was 4 years out of warranty. Did you try going to an Apple store? If it's a hardware failure on their end, I would demand that they replace the faulty part even if the unit is out of warranty.

4. setasai thread starter macrumors member

Interesting idea. I just kind of assumed that since it was out of warranty, they have no reason to replace or fix anything. Problem is, it doesnt happen predictably. I know that if I let it heat up and watch video's random stuff will happen but it's not like I boot and the whole thing is a mess instantly. That's the only reason why I was able to tolerate it for so long. Still, maybe getting it checked out at the store could be useful regardless.

5. Michael383 macrumors 6502a

If it were mine I'd either donate it to charity if possible or find a place to send it for recycling.