Dying Cat inside my MacPro...

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by JesterJJZ, Nov 19, 2007.

1. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

2. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

That title... after the whole Scorpion in a Mac Pro - I thought you took it to the next level.

Phew.

3. FireSlash macrumors member

My guess is your optical drive is the culpret. There aren't many moving parts in a computer, and everything else moves a lot faster than whatever is making that sound.

It COULD be a fan with a very VERY strange bearing failure noise, but I put my monies on the optical.

Disconnect it and see if the noise goes away

4. absolution macrumors member

5. macz1 macrumors 6502

macz1

I have a hard drive in my computer (added to my Sawtooth) making a comparable noise. It makes it since I installed it about five years ago and still works fine...
    The time interval is a also about 20 to 30 minutes.
    It's an IBM 120 gig HD

6. peejack macrumors 6502a

7. statikcat macrumors 6502

statikcat

My Mac Pro has been making an odd sound like that. I was actually going to record it and post it here. However, it is probably one of my drives. I put a newer (yet older) drive in here a few weeks ago. I hope it is not a sign of a failing drive. :(

8. hanHans macrumors newbie

Sounds like an old floppy disc...

I had the same sound on my mac pro, and it was the hard drive. This is probably the case with you as well. You should first clone your hdd into another bootable disc, then remove the deffect one. Your cat should begin to purr normaly again :D

9. JesterJJZ thread starter macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

I have a couple 750's that just came in that I'm gonna stripe as a mirror and move everything to that.