Dying/Dead Blackbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Dr.Pants, May 21, 2009.

1. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

This is more of a request from a friend of mine - her blackbook, last night, was having the odd problem of the return key acting as if it was always being pressed. Furthermore, now it will not boot up. So, hardware problem - it this a logic board problem, or something getting shorted/disconnected? If you need anymore details, I will try to provide them.

2. BlackMax macrumors 6502a

BlackMax

It is really difficult to diagnose an issue like this through a forum. Have your girlfriend take her BlackBook to an Apple store and have them look at it. Might be something simply and inexpensive to fix.

3. MedHead macrumors regular

Sounds like the logic board, all I can advise is to try back up the HDD if you can. An external enclosure should do the trick!

4. Dr.Pants thread starter macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

Logic board was what I was thinking as well. I assume I could plug the HDD into one of the SATA ports on my G5 instead of using an external enclosure? Just what I have on hand, I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work (If this is not kosher, please tell me).

Its just weird. New to mac-servicing, that's all. She would go to an Apple store, but... Its about fifty minutes away on the freeway on a good day.

5. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

Could be a corrupted keyboard as well. Needs to go to the nearest Mac service site.

6. MedHead macrumors regular

Directly plugging it in should work fine. Just a word of caution though if the drive isnt in an enclosure its going to be really susceptible to damage from movement so be sure to keep it still while you transfer.