Dying GPU? Failing Screen? Broken Connection?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LoneWolf121188, Nov 11, 2008.

1. LoneWolf121188 macrumors 6502a

I've got a June 07 MBP and my screen is starting to act up. For the past few weeks, whenever I open the screen from sleep, the bottom 3/4 (or so) of the screen is completely garbled. I just gently tap the screen or squeeze it for a second and it instantly reverts to normal. However, recently its been messing up seemingly randomly. Again, just putting a small amount of pressure on it briefly is typically enough to fix it, which makes me think its either a problem with the screen itself or a connection going to the screen (and not the bad nVidia GPU thing...though idk how I would know it was that). I'll take it apart sometime this weekend and look at the connections (any advice on what specifically to look at), but does anyone have any other suggestions?

2. keewee macrumors newbie

3. kousuke18 macrumors regular

hook it up to a external monitor and see if the same thing happens, if not than it's almost guaranteed that the problem isn't with the gpu.

4. six.four macrumors 6502

If the MBP is from June 2007, the GPU is covered until June 2009 (two years from purchase date). If you can't tell if it is a problem with the GPU, just bring it in to an apple store and have them take a look at it. The worst case, is that it isn't GPU related (and isn't covered under the GPU extended warranty), in which case you leave knowing the problem. Best case they repair your MBP.