Dying Hard Drive?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by JurgenWigg, May 24, 2007.

1. JurgenWigg macrumors 6502

JurgenWigg

Hey guys, a few weeks ago, my Seagate hard drive that I used to replace the stock HD in my macbook just died. On startup, there was just the questionmark file and the disk utility doctor couldn't even recognize it. I took it out and slapped it in an enclosure and a very loud obnoxious beep emitted. So, one dead. I put back in my stock HD and reinstalled everything (pain in my ass, not to mention a waste of serial keys for MS Word), and since I'm leaving school for the summer so soon, I'd deal with it on the way. I called up seagate to check warranty and everything, so that's going back for data recovery and replacement as soon as I get home.

Now, this HD has been working just fine, until yesterday, I installed a screensaver that I got from Apple's website, and restarted from the security update, and lo and behold, my background wasn't there. Not only that, but my dock was reset to it's original state of being. The weird thing is, that only some things got erased, like my preferences, and some programs, but Adium was still there, granted without any of my preferences, and all (I think, I hope) of my documents were still there. Some of the files in the finder folder weren't like they were (the documents and pictures folders are just regular, nothing special), but I could live with that. I just finished reinstalling everything that went missing, like my music (grr) and resetting up my mail, but i'm wondering if this HD could be going the way of the other one, and if my computer is actually killing hard drives? two in a row? Or maybe installing the screensaver messed things up like that? What do people think?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

*sigh*

Your data never left you. You just weren't accessing your user home. OS X gives you the default one if you don't have permission or can't reach your home directory after logging in.

As always, backup your data and I hope you aren't killed by data recovery prices.