Dying Hardrive. HELP!??

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by realph, Nov 29, 2013.

1. realph macrumors regular

I'm using a Mac Pro and it seems one of my HDDs (in bay 2) is on its last legs, its not clicking yet and Disk Utility shows the S.M.A.R.T. status as verified but its got extremely slow read and write speeds.

Thankfully my work on this drive is backed up elsewhere, but if this drive goes down I'll lose a bunch of music that I'd prefer not to download again. So, does anyone know of any Mac Apps to help me transfer or recover these sorts of things?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

Carbon copy cloner should do, if the drive is in limp mode best to get everything off ASAP. Best to set ccc to ignore errors so it doesn't bomb out with an error part way through.

3. realph thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks a lot for this Gav, trying it and I'm going to leave it on over night. Hopefully I can grab the majority of music. Thanks again!

4. ggoerl macrumors regular

CCC should definitely work, I used it on a dying drive and it worked for me. It just takes a long time depending on how much stuff you're cloning.

5. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

As one who has lost a few drives over the years, i feel your pain.

X fingers you can get the stuff off before it goes totally kaput.

I have a 3TB seagate giving me grief at the moment, but I am lucky to have all of it mirrored on the 4TB.

Good luck hunni

6. Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

Hope it's done the trick but be patient if it hasn't yet - My record for limp mode transfer stands at just over 8 and a half days!

7. realph thread starter macrumors regular

Oh, yeah. It took an entire 2 days but I managed to recover most of my stuff. Might have lost a 1GB out of 600GB, so pretty chuffed with that.

Thanks again so much for the CCC recommendation!

Yeah, I think it's about time I looked into NAS enclosures.