Dying iMac?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by scarmullet, Aug 21, 2015.

1. scarmullet macrumors newbie

scarmullet

I have an iMac G3 Bondi Blue that won't boot up. It had OS 9.2 installed, but now it won't see the drive. I was trying to boot it today it kept on locking up on the "Welcome" screen, forcing a reboot each time. Now it won't see the drive (question mark folder is displayed) nor will it boot from the CD rom drive. I don't even hear either drive spin up. I dunno what's going on with it.

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

There is a chance the optical drive is shot just from age. The hard drive likely died but try holding Option at boot to see if you can get the CD or the HD to display.

3. scarmullet thread starter macrumors newbie

scarmullet

Well after replacing the HDD, the Optical Drive (had a spare that interfaced with the board), and all the cabling. The IDE controller seems to be shot, so yea...the Machine is a DUD. The CRT is still good, so I wana try something with it.

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

You could get a new logic board but I am not sure it would be a justifiable expense. Another option is to use it as a fish tank.

5. scarmullet thread starter macrumors newbie

scarmullet

The CRT is still good, the picture is still sharp and still has great geometry. Since it uses Apple 15pin Connector, which is VGA compatible, and it activates when it receives a signal (The monitor is asleep till then, even when the computer itself is off), it would not be too much trouble to throw in a CGA to VGA adapter, and a sync stripper with a SCART connection to get an ultra sharp RGB monitor to be driven by anything that outputs RGB through scart.

I live in NTSC land, so SCART displays are as common as....things that are not very common...or otherwise non-existent.