Dying iPhone... swap motherboard?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by NoSole, Mar 7, 2017.

1. NoSole macrumors newbie

My iPhone 6 just took a dunk in my toilet this morning, and to add insult to injury, yes, there was a fresh log in there too. FML. The phone has been doing fine all day, except that I just noticed it won't charge. I'm going to open it up tonight and do a thorough investigation and cleaning, but I'm also preparing for the worst and fully expect to have to replace it.

My question is simple: Can I buy a phone with a bad ESN, and just swap out the motherboard and SIM?

Why? I have a 128gb phone, and I need the cheapest option available, but most importantly, I don't want to lose the last 6 months of photos/vids that I haven't backed up yet. I've already done a motherboard swap before with my previous iPhone 5 that had several F'd up parts (but not water damaged). However, I don't recall the specific circumstances or the status of the donor phone (i.e. whether it was bad ESN or not).

2. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Can't use the motherboard with a bad ESN.

Edited to add: How about editing your post and changing it to say the water was dirty? Will read much better than what you crudely wrote.

3. NoSole thread starter macrumors newbie

What I meant was, can I take my motherboard and place it in the donor "bad esn" phone? Furthermore, does it matter what carrier the donor phone came from? I'm on AT&T

4. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

Not sure I would have put my hand in and just grabbed it... I mean grabbed the phone. I probably would have just tossed it in the hazmat container. :)
    If the phone won't charge then the motherboard is damaged. You can put it in any donor phone you want but I don't see how it will fix your motherboard. No harm in trying though.

5. NoSole thread starter macrumors newbie

Ugh:confused: So definitely the board is F'd and not maybe the lightning port/assembly? I realize now that plugging it in was a bad idea, but it wasn't just doing nothing at all. It was giving me the "This cable is not certified blah blah blah" message. I suppose I'm just splitting hairs at this point, but you can't blame me for holding onto every last shred of hope.

6. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I think you knew all the answers before you asked.