Dying nvidias 8600M GT (MBP)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jaxss, Jul 27, 2008.

1. jaxss macrumors newbie

My nvidia 8600M GT in my Macbook pro just died yesterday. My warranty ended 8 day ago. It started with random gliches the same lots of you allready wrote about, then suddenly when I was using safari my macbook died. I still can turn it on from time to time but 9 out of 10 it hangs on completely distorted gray apple. Way the go nvidia. I wonder if apple is going to do anything about it?

2. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

No AppleCare, I assume? Try giving Apple a call and see if they can make an exception. Doesn't hurt to ask... The logic board alone for a MBP is around $1,000.

3. PDE macrumors 68020

Hi,

Did you buy it with a creditcard? Many credit cards offer automatic, free doubling of the warranty. Basically they extend, for free, Apple's warranty for an extra year if you have the purchase receipt and your CC statement. Just call and ask if you're covered. Chances are you are and that the repair will be free.Having said that, Apple really should cover it given the latest news on the GPU defects. Apple geniuses are able to request a sort of goodwill extension for certain things so it may be worth asking.

I keep posting this - mods, can't we have a sticky about the CC warranty extension? It's such a useful, and free, service that many people don't even know about.

4. Yixian macrumors 65816

5. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Just bought a dell for my son with the same gpu, this is a little scary but I would still contact Apple sometimes they can surprise you.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You have scarred your son for life! :p

j/k.

@OP: Call Apple and explain your situation.

7. Stopsignguy macrumors member

Do you know if theres any warning signs prior to the graphics card dying? I have a SR MBP and have experienced a few screen issues from time to time.

8. engles macrumors regular

9. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

umm...what?

10. jaxss thread starter macrumors newbie

@Stopsignguy

Yes, I've had many of the symptoms you can find topics on apple support forums. For example totally distorted menus, all desktop. Occasional freezing. It all happened only few times so I wasn't really worried about it, but when I think of it right know it was all small signs that something is wrong.

11. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

If it was showing ANY signs, I would have brought it to Apple BEFORE the warranty ran out.

I still think if you give them a call they will work with you. It certainly wouldn't hurt to try.

12. jaxss thread starter macrumors newbie

I live in Poland were apple support is not very good, but of course I'm going to call them tomorrow. This MBP was my first mac ever, and I thought that maybe it's related to Leopard. Just look at some topics in apple support forums, many of those people think their graphic glitches, random freezing, etc. is because of the leopard. I'm doing my best to make them aware of how serious their situation is. For me all those glitches was easily solved by reboot and they happened to me only few times 3 or 4.

13. PDE macrumors 68020

This might help you:

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=CELEX:31999L0044:En:HTML

Basically, an EU directive that makes the minimum warranty period for which the manufacturer is responsible for the product conforming to specification is TWO years. Check it out and have it in your back pocket when you talk to Apple. There is an additional EU that has to do with inherent defects that states that if a product has a built-in defect, the manufacturer has to cover it for three years. Since Nvidia has acknowledged GPU issues, that shouldn't be too hard to prove. Just some thoughts...

14. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

But that requires the OP to be in Europe!

15. Smurfed macrumors regular

A few people were in the same situation you're in from this forum, like either a week or 2 weeks their GPU died after warranty expired, but fortunately they still got it repaired for free.

Just tell them your situation, I'm sure they'll cover it.

16. jaxss thread starter macrumors newbie

I hope you guys are right. I've got some evidence that the problem appeared in may. It is few photos of my mbp with display full of artifacts. I know it's not hard evidence but it's something to start with.

17. PDE macrumors 68020

I thought he said he's in Poland??

18. engles macrumors regular

Nvidia is still making this same gpu

19. jaxss thread starter macrumors newbie

I just called polish apple service line and they gave me 30 day warranty extension!!! Tomorrow I'm bringing my mbp to service. I talk to the guy and he told me that they know something is wrong. There maybe a recall someday, he said.

20. PDE macrumors 68020

Great news! Congratulations. Hopefully, you'll be covered in the future too. You may want to ask them if the 30 days extension will allow you to buy applecare too....

21. TomsMacBook macrumors 6502

Uh, forgive me if I'm wrong, but...

Que?

It's not fraud, haha. You clearly read on the box and/or spec-sheet that it has the Nvidia GPU inside.

So, what's so fraudulent about it?

22. vinylator macrumors newbie

I'm about to buy a new Macbook Pro, Do they still have this faulty graphics card in them?

23. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Seems silly having to invest an additional $350.00 into a defective device don't you think?

24. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Having not been updated since February, and having had the same card since June of last year, and since nVidia has said nothing about which cards are affected...

We don't know. Same card, but it might not be borked.