Dying on support line and needing AirPort Express help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by csc, Mar 29, 2008.

1. csc macrumors newbie

While I sit on Apple's support line going into the second hour--and I swear to god I just somehow got re-routed to the end of the queue--I thought I would tee up my problem here, which can be summarized by: "WTF is wrong with Apple's new AirportExpress and the software!"

I had a working system, I bought the new box, the new box screwed up the old box, neither work. I have reset to scratch this morning, walked through the set-up options, have a lovely green light and full bars on my MBP (new) and iMac G5 (old) and no connection. The only clue is that one indicator seems to think the IP address is wrong.

2. csc thread starter macrumors newbie

For anyone who checks this, about two hours of tech support seems to have solved the problem.

The short, non-technical version applicable to a Motorola Surfboard cable modem, a new AirPort Express and an old one, a new MBP and an older iMac is:

1. Unplug everything and turn your computers off.
    2. Reset your cable modem by
    (a) disconnecting both the power and the cable line (apparently, a residual power trickle through the cable can be enough to keep the settings active that you are trying to erase), then
    (b). holding down the modem startup button for at least 45 seconds.
    3. Then, connect the cable wire
    4. Then, connect the power cord.
    5. Completely reset your Airport Express by
    (a) using a paper clip to press in the reset button (that tiny gray dot above the Ethernet and USB ports),
    (b) while continuing to press in the reset button, plug it in, and
    (c) still while pressing in the button, waiting for the indicator light to go from amber to flashing amber to flashing green four times and to amber, at which point you can release the button and it should be completely reset.
    6. Turn the computer(s) back on.
    7. Turn one computer's AirPort on.
    7. Launch AirPort Utility (in Applications) on the computer with the AirPort on.
    8. At this point, you SHOULD be able to walk through the Airport Utility manual set-up options fairly easily.

Weirdly, however, in the midst of this mess, the desktop icons on my MacBook pro shrunk to quarter-fingernail size. I'm going to have to figure out how to get them back to normal (and it is not a resolution issue; tried that).

3. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

From the Finder desktop, CTRL-click and empty area of the desktop. Scroll to "Show View Options". A window should pop up that allows you to change the icon sizes.

4. csc thread starter macrumors newbie

Or, as I found out on another thread, click on the Desktop and click Command + J. The same menu pops up. No clue why they suddenly shrunk, though.

Thanks for the advice, though.

5. lclsamiam macrumors newbie

Different airport expresses

I want to purchase an airport express and notice there are different prices. I want to connect my printer wirelessly. Can I purchase the less expensive one for that purpose?