Dying SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Blackberryroid, Sep 7, 2012.

1. Blackberryroid macrumors 6502a

Blackberryroid

I do not consider myself a normal Mac user. I transfer huge files every day. Some would even take up to 50 GB. Now, I have heard that SSDs are slowly digging their own graves when it is constantly being written with data. SSDs are expensive.

Should I worry about my SSD to be dead soon? It's 2 months and I have done a Major redesign of my files and folders, over 160 GB of data deleted, moved and downloaded nearly every month.

2. nitromac macrumors 6502

Honestly, SSDs made today are made to last a while, albeit not for eternity. Yours might last 2-4 years (this is a pure guess) with that kind of usage. But I'm no expert, so if anyone wants to shut down my assumption, please go for it, haha

3. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

I don't think that there's enough real-world data to know for certain. If you go according to the theoretical limits, people have calculated it out that you would need a decade or longer of constant read/write activity on all parts of the drive in order to reach the write limits.

Of course, people suffer SSD failures well before then, even if they haven't been performing heavy write activity. In those cases, it's more likely that some other part of the drive has failed, and not the flash memory itself.

If I were you, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

4. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

There's no way to be certain of course - but keep in mind that it is designed to be used. They are expensive for sure but if it does die, most have a solid warranty - just make sure all of this data that you are moving around is backed up in another location.