Dying SuperDrive?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Nielsenius, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Nielsenius macrumors 6502a

Over the past week I've been having intermittent problems with my MacBook Pro's SuperDrive. I don't read or write from CDs/DVDs very often, but recently the drive has been accepting disks sometimes and other times it just beeps at me and spits them back out after a few seconds. A call to Apple Support and an SMC reset helped for about one day, then the problem came back. The support representative said that the drive could be slowly dying. Has anyone else had this issue in the past?

I'll be bring the MBP to the Genius Bar this week (my warranty expires in less than 40 days and I want this cleared up).

2. ezramoore macrumors 6502a

The ODD is quite a common failure in all Apple computers. Take it in, get it replaced. BMC until they replace it.

3. Elbert C macrumors 6502

My MBP SD died the same way. A SD swap at an Apple store under warranty didn't really fix it, the new SD only reads discs but doesn't write to them. Apple just sent out a shipping box to me earlier this week for another SD swap.
    I've got a couple weeks of AC left on the MBP but the tech I talked with on the phone said the new SD will have 90 days of warranty.