Dying USB port on MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Michael CM1, Jul 6, 2009.

1. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

After a few months of confusion, I think one of my USB ports is dying. I had been plugging a My Passport HDD into my left USB port and a fan/hub (plus other things into the hub) into the right USB port. I had been having problems using Time Machine even with a HDD attached to my computer, so I figured the HDD was bad. I bought a new one (Seagate 1.5TB at $120) and planned on using another 500GB drive I have for Time Machine.

At the same time, I had been plugging my new iPhone 3GS into either ports on a hub on that right port chain or directly into it. The phone would eject and reconnect a lot when doing that. When I tried it on the left USB port or even connected to that hub coming off the left port, no problems. I plugged up a different HDD to the right side. It also began ejecting and reconnecting from time to time.

I think my USB port is going bad, but I'm not sure because I have never had one that worked well and then stopped on a factory-built system. The only other time I had problems was when I bought a big, fancy PC case with about 800 ports and one or two out of 500 on the front wouldn't work. This is a much bigger problem on a MacBook Pro.

If this port does sound bad, would it be worth investing in an ExpressCard USB port card? I have a good 4 or 5 devices that I need plugged in, but I think I can manage using the fan/hub device for most of it. Any thoughts are appreciated!

2. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

ExpressCard USB hubs aren't powered and are usually USB 1.1 (slow speed).