Dynamic Graphics Switching - Just Curious

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by KlytusLord, May 29, 2011.

1. KlytusLord macrumors regular

Hello All,

I have the 15" MBP with the ATI 6750 card. I am curious if anyone knows what triggers the switching to the ATI card when running on battery power.

This is strictly out of curiosity. I am having no issues and I am getting excellent battery life (7+ hours).

But I have the little monitoring app, and I got curious, since while some things that trigger the switching to the ATI card are obvious (games, PhotoShop, etc.) some are not, or at least not to me. Some websites seem to trigger it, as does MS Excel for some reason.

Thanks for any comments.

2. polbit macrumors 6502

polbit

As far as websites, any Flash content will trigger the switch, from what I've noticed. The part that sucks is that you have to quit the browser for the graphics to switch back to integrated.

Polbit

3. mape2k macrumors regular

gfxcardstatus actually shows the process that causes the switching if you click on the symbol in the menu bar.

Skype for instance will always demand dedicated, even if you are not having a video call with someone.

4. KlytusLord, May 29, 2011
    Last edited: May 29, 2011

KlytusLord thread starter macrumors regular

Is that what is listed under "dependencies"? If so, it is MSN Messenger in my case, so it looks like video chat software will trigger it even when not in a video call.

Thanks for the replies.

5. mape2k macrumors regular

Could have guessed that its MSN Messenger too...bad coding all the way...

If I force integrated graphics my Skype calls are still fluent and just fine, so why does it need the dedicated graphic card all the time?

6. JTToft macrumors 68040

- It most definitely will not. I am watching 4K resolution flash video right now on YouTube with the integrated Intel HD Graphics 3000. Runs great.