dynamic/static IP problems/confusion

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by bobbypotluck, Oct 5, 2009.

1. bobbypotluck macrumors member

Well for a while now i've been having trouble setting up a wireless network for my apartment. The internet service is provided for the apartment complex. Each room has it's own wall jack in which i'm trying to plug a wireless router into. The problem is, when more than one computer is connected wirelessly, or wired, the internet slows to a halt.

3 different routers later i'm having the same problem. I went to fry's and talked to the salesman there and he told me the problem is that most likely my wall jack is already plugged into another router elsewhere which has one assigned static IP address. He explained that plugging in a router into it trys to change this one IP address to a dynamic one, which apparently is impossible. I've messed with the router settings over and over and can't seem to get this to work with more than one computer at a time.

I know it's possible, seeing as I'm able to connect to other apartments wireless connection but it goes in and out. Any suggestions? Granted, these are 30 dollar routers, but i don't think that should matter.

2. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Usually a fairly straight forward process. You may want to contact your landlord to see what equipment they have setup already.

3. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

Plug a crossover cable into the wan port to the wall jack. Set the router's connection to DHCP or static depending on how they say to set up a computer.