Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cappahdap

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Hi

I just received my 15" mbp. What a beast! This will definitely be able to replace my aging-although-quite-capable windows desktop.

I have noticed some problems with the gfx dynamic switching when using Firefox and Thunderbird, though. They seem very eager to use the discrete gfx card...

Any tips on making these two apps not use any hardware acceleration AT ALL?

I have found tons of threads about dynamic switching, but I was hoping maybe someone had specific tweaks for these two apps.

Thanks! :)

fishmoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2008
Sweden
I'd also like to know what causes apps to chose the discrete card, for me Twitter for Mac and NetNewsWire uses it. Those two apps I always have running so for me my MBP will always use the discrete card. I can't imagine why such simple apps would need it.

hehe299792458

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2008
I'd also like to know what causes apps to chose the discrete card, for me Twitter for Mac and NetNewsWire uses it. Those two apps I always have running so for me my MBP will always use the discrete card. I can't imagine why such simple apps would need it.

Core Animation.

satchow

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2011
Unfortunately I haven't been able to find any tweaks that have Whitelists/Blacklists for the discrete card, but a lot of people including me use this app. It lets you freely switch between the two graphics cards and tells you exactly what apps are causing your computer to use the discrete card so you can close them if you wish.

http://codykrieger.com/gfxCardStatus

Hi

I just received my 15" mbp. What a beast! This will definitely be able to replace my aging-although-quite-capable windows desktop.

I have noticed some problems with the gfx dynamic switching when using Firefox and Thunderbird, though. They seem very eager to use the discrete gfx card...

Any tips on making these two apps not use any hardware acceleration AT ALL?

I have found tons of threads about dynamic switching, but I was hoping maybe someone had specific tweaks for these two apps.

Thanks! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.