dynamic switching woes (firefox/thunderbird)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cappahdap, Jul 17, 2011.

1. cappahdap macrumors newbie

Hi

I just received my 15" mbp. What a beast! This will definitely be able to replace my aging-although-quite-capable windows desktop.

I have noticed some problems with the gfx dynamic switching when using Firefox and Thunderbird, though. They seem very eager to use the discrete gfx card...

Any tips on making these two apps not use any hardware acceleration AT ALL?

I have found tons of threads about dynamic switching, but I was hoping maybe someone had specific tweaks for these two apps.

Thanks! :)

2. fishmoose macrumors 68000

I'd also like to know what causes apps to chose the discrete card, for me Twitter for Mac and NetNewsWire uses it. Those two apps I always have running so for me my MBP will always use the discrete card. I can't imagine why such simple apps would need it.

3. hehe299792458 macrumors 6502a

hehe299792458

Core Animation.

4. satchow macrumors 6502

Unfortunately I haven't been able to find any tweaks that have Whitelists/Blacklists for the discrete card, but a lot of people including me use this app. It lets you freely switch between the two graphics cards and tells you exactly what apps are causing your computer to use the discrete card so you can close them if you wish.

http://codykrieger.com/gfxCardStatus