Dynamite or something?

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
Me and a couple of friends went out onto the moors. In the middle of nowhere we find this building and intrigued by it we go for a closer look!

Inside there's a drop of about 6 foot onto a metal grid.

On closer inspection there's actually (which didn't come out well in the pics) a giant hole in the ground. We've no idea how deep it is, we dropped small rocks down the holes and it took a fair while for them to hit anything. We all stepped back in amazement when you finally heard the faint impact. It's very deep. The huge 12' wide hole turned into a pin point dot at the bottom.

Anyways. We spotted these. I think they're flares, but a friend said it might be dynamite (caving?) which I doubt. but hey. It's a friggin hole to the centre of the earth.

Any guesses? I'm tempted to go back with my actual camera but I can imagine the whole thing vanished with a trace. It's a little bit eerie.

barr08

macrumors 65816
Aug 9, 2006
Boston, MA
You have actually stumbled upon the ultra-rare breed of hot dog that grows from the ground.

Is there some mustard-weed near by? We can have a cookout!

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
So I've managed to do some research on it. Turns out the tunnel drops down to a river that powers a canal underground. The altitude of the entrance was 355m above sea level, the ground level entrances are both 243m above sea level.
It's a bit of a drop!

Still would love to know what them sticks are!