Dynamite or something?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Dagless, Aug 24, 2007.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Me and a couple of friends went out onto the moors. In the middle of nowhere we find this building and intrigued by it we go for a closer look!

[​IMG]

Inside there's a drop of about 6 foot onto a metal grid.
    [​IMG]

On closer inspection there's actually (which didn't come out well in the pics) a giant hole in the ground. We've no idea how deep it is, we dropped small rocks down the holes and it took a fair while for them to hit anything. We all stepped back in amazement when you finally heard the faint impact. It's very deep. The huge 12' wide hole turned into a pin point dot at the bottom.

Anyways. We spotted these. I think they're flares, but a friend said it might be dynamite (caving?) which I doubt. but hey. It's a friggin hole to the centre of the earth.

[​IMG]

Any guesses? I'm tempted to go back with my actual camera but I can imagine the whole thing vanished with a trace. It's a little bit eerie.

2. barr08 macrumors 65816

barr08

You have actually stumbled upon the ultra-rare breed of hot dog that grows from the ground.

Is there some mustard-weed near by? We can have a cookout!

3. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

4. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

So I've managed to do some research on it. Turns out the tunnel drops down to a river that powers a canal underground. The altitude of the entrance was 355m above sea level, the ground level entrances are both 243m above sea level.
    It's a bit of a drop!

Still would love to know what them sticks are!

5. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

If you see a guy with a flashing exclamation mark (!) above his head accept the quest- It should shed further light onto what you're dealing with :p