D'you really think it's worth updating to 3.0 just now?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by jmvideo, Jun 23, 2009.

1. jmvideo macrumors newbie

I'm just an everyday user of my iPod Touch and I'm wondering if it's the right time to upgrade to 3.0 with all the issues/problems a lot of people are having.

I would normally 'jump' at most software upgrades, but I'm not sure about this one...

What d'you think?

Regards

John

2. plinkoman macrumors 65816

plinkoman

I haven't personally noticed any issues that would have me suggest you wait, but on the other hand, there are so few new features. Aside from toying around with spotlight, and copy & paste to see how they worked, I actually haven't used a single new feature of it yet.

So to answer your question, eh, who knows.

3. pilotrtc macrumors regular

I'm waiting

As the previous poster stated, there are not enough new features (nor apps that take advantage of the ones that are new) for me to make the jump yet. There have been too many problems reported for me to think it's worth it at this time.

When the dust settles, then I'll upgrade. :)

4. ShiggyMiyamoto macrumors 6502a

ShiggyMiyamoto

My iPhone (original model) works great with OS 3.0. I can't use ALL of the new features, but I love copy/paste... it was long overdue.

5. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

I don't see Apple charging for another update until 4.0. So if I were you I'd just get it now.

Think of it this way - it's the initial upgrade that costs money. Regardless of upgrading your iPod's software today or in a month's time, you'll still pay it. If you get it now you'll get all subsequent 3.x releases for absolutely free via iTunes anyway.

Just go for it now, I say.

6. dub45 macrumors newbie

Under no circumstances upgrade - Apple at the moment are clearly selling a defective product which will leave you with a diminished performance and may stop your touch working with add ons.

Just look around for various postings on this so called 'upgrade' both here and on Apple's own forums.

7. m3coolpix macrumors 6502a

m3coolpix

If you think the features are something you'll use, then do it, as long as all the apps you use daily are also compatible. 3.0 is working pretty well for me (updated yesterday). I like the Spotlight and C&P features.

8. adbe macrumors 6502a

3.0 is finally getting the Touch to where I was hoping it would go after 1.1 came out.

It also (so far at least) seems to have fixed a few very annoying bugs that were in 2.0.

9. jedisaga macrumors 6502

jedisaga

Personally, I think it's worth the upgrade. I've experienced a few quirks since upgrading, including a bit of a lag in regards to scrolling. Also, my wi-fi connection doesn't seem to be as strong as 2.X. But, I do luv the following new features:

- Spotlight
    - 3 Extra screens for apps!!!
    - Cut, Copy and Paste
    - Voice recording app

Now, I did noticed something really weird in regards to copying & saving pictures from the web. For some reason, even if they are hi-res, they are saved on my ipod touch in low res. Not sure if it's a setting issue or not.

All in all, I think it was worth the 10$.

jedisaga

10. jmvideo thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, I've been convinced. I upgraded a few hours ago.

All ok so far.

Search facility seems useful.

Many thanks for all your comments.

Regards

John

11. khunsanook macrumors 6502

khunsanook

Although I'm not totally in agreement with dub45, I certainly do lean towards his/her sentiment. I love a few of the new features (searching mail is great!), but 3.0 is seriously far from perfect. I'm eagerly awaiting Apple's update to fix this buggy release. For one, my wifi connectivity (and that of many others) has taken a big hit. The whole interface is a bit laggy as well. I think they rushed this release out the door a bit too fast.

12. dynamo22 macrumors member

if you are a 1st gen iPod Touch user, it is not worth the $9.95 upgrade fee due to the fact that the features in 3.0 cater to the 2nd gen iPod Touch.

Just wait it out for the 3rd gen iPod touch, as I will be upgrading hopefully in September when it is announced.

13. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

Well I dont plan to upgrade my 1st gen touch but I will upgrade my 2nd gen when I get it for free from the back to school program. Its not worth it for the 1st gen since nothing but copy and paste is really added. But the 2nd gen bluetooth is enough for me. And you also get peer to peer gaming.

14. poolish macrumors regular

it costs money??...

is it only iphones that get it free then?

15. Moocher macrumors regular

reason to upgrade to 3.0

MLB.com only allows live game streaming video on 3.0

That was my reason and the choice was easy.