dysiexic colour changes (pages)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by tinymind, Jan 11, 2008.

1. tinymind macrumors newbie

Hi i was just wondering how i can change the back ground colour of my page in Pages. i have dyslexia and really need a light yellow background to help me read better but don't seem to be able to find how to do it ????

any answers

thanks

Ben

2. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

I don't have Pages, but I had a quick peek at the Pages User Guide. Try searching it using the term "background." There are a couple of options that discuss the background colour of paragraphs and text boxes, so you'll have to try them yourself to see if one meets your needs.

Good luck!

3. Gaz545 macrumors newbie

Gaz545

dude you don't have dyslexia. if you do, then your currently problem is not caused by that, dyslexia is separate and distinct from reading difficulties resulting from other causes, such as deficiencies in intelligence, a non-neurological deficiency with vision or hearing.

you should really go to an optician about your eyes, who ever told you that your current problem is because your dyslexic is a pure and utter muppet.

4. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

Gaz545 - even a small search on google shows your wrong... http://members.aol.com/ddyslexia/color.html is one site that you may be able to learn from. Search 'dyslexia reading page colour' for more info.

tinymind - My ex had dyslexia and had a blue tinted sheet of transparent plastic , to help her read - maybe you could invest in a similar sheet with a yellow tint to put over your screen ?

5. Gaz545 macrumors newbie

Gaz545

don't believe everything you read on the internet

dyslexia results from differences in how the brain processes written and/or verbal language. not a non-neurological deficiency with vision. the two may occur together, but that doesn't mean just because you can't read because of glare you are therefore dyslexic.

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

So how do you know that a professional hasn't given the OP a diagnosis and that this is part of their management plan?

You are implying that the OP is self-diagnosing without any evidence to that effect.

B

7. tinymind thread starter macrumors newbie

hi peeps thanks for that i might try a perspex screen over the laptop if all else fails.Gaz

I am dyslexic and i affects me in many ways short term memory loss brain freeze when i need to say a word, unknowingly bad sentence structure and spelling. i have also found that reading from yellow paper or screen allows me to read easier.

thanks for your help it means a lot

8. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

Ben does not say 'he has trouble reading on white paper and therefore has dyslexia', he says 'has dyslexia and one of the outcomes of having dyslexia is that he has trouble reading on white paper'... I'm not sure why you are questioning whether he has it or not Gaz545. Thats not really the issue and this isn't really the place to discuss diagnosis surely.

Hope it helps - if still no luck, ask advice of your doctor and see if there is any equipment/software that may be available to help you out. Some doctors can be very helpful, whereas some don't really know enough about it, as with all medical issues.

9. Gaz545 macrumors newbie

Gaz545

i'm not questioning wether he has it or not, i was mearly saying that just because someone finds it hard to read off white paper doesn't make them dyslexic, i wasn't given the full facts, and now i see there are clearly other problems in which are common with people who have dyslexia, i have nothing else to say on the matter. if you check my first post i am clearly saying that.

10. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

with respect to u all i dont have a opinion on this but wouldnt it be better discussed at a doctors
    or by some other professional,the poor bloke came on here for help not for world war 3 to break
    out

11. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Here's how you do it. You can't change the background page color per se, but you can define a fill color for your paragraphs, which should work for your needs.

Open a blank document.
    Insert the cursor on the page.
    Open the Inspector and choose the text tab.
    Choose the More button.
    Check "Background Fills: Paragraph"
    Click on the color well and the color picker will appear.
    Choose the color you want.

Now, you should use the Style Drawer to "Redefine Style from Selection," so that every use of this style will have the same background fill. You can also easily define another style which is the same but without the background color for printing if you like.

12. hayesatlbch macrumors newbie

Dyslexic or not dyslexic ?

All of you out there who are bashing tinymind about not having dyslexia because dyslexia isn't about visual problems are rude and uninformed. Dyslexia isn't all about visual problems and most dyslexics do not have visual problems. On the other hand there is a subgroup of dyslexics that have visual problems (that can take many different forms) that impair reading and properly can be called visual dyslexics. Visual dyslexics may or may not also have the phonological problems associated with the majority of dyslexics.

Those who describe dyslexia as having a single cause ( mostly from results of FMRI studies ) would do well to consider that while those studies are able to see differences between groups of dyslexics and non-dyslexics none are able to determine whether an individual is actually dyslexic or not. This same result has also been seen when the visual centers of the brain are investigated by FMRI indicating that indeed there can be a visual component for some dyslexics.

While changing the background color or using colored overlays in front of the screen may help tinymind there is another option that will work. Visual dyslexia glasses that remove the visual problems associated with visual dyslexia are available. See Right Dyslexia Glasses are guaranteed and need no personal evaluation.

Kudos to those that gave suggestions on how to change the background color as that seems to be what tinymind was asking.

13. evil_santa macrumors 6502a

evil_santa

i'm not going to believe a word from you, thats for sure,

What give you the right to tell someone they do/don't have dyslexia?
    The OP asked how to change the color of the background, why couldn't you spend your time answering that for him, instead of diving in and questioning him over his disability.

Personally i would be very offended if someone told me I didn't have dyslexia, I was diagnosed with it in 1979 at the UK Institute for Dyslexia and have to live with this disability everyday of my life.

http://www.dyslexiaaction.org.uk/

To the OP, there are also some typefaces designed to help dyslexic readers,

http://www.dyslexia-teacher.com/t136.html

14. Nunnanunn macrumors newbie

Really?

So from two lines written by tinymind you can diagnose him?
    I wish my testing could have been that quick!

Jeez.

Anyway I just looked on this post cos i'm curious too but Tinymind, i know this wont help for actually writing your own documents and all that but for me personally (i know its different for everyone) I found simply reading off a computer screen really difficult. I used to print everything off onto canary yellow paper. But obvs thats a hell of a lot of ink!

So for christmas (in an attempt to get me to read) my mum got me an Amazin Kindle. and the screen is amazingly easy to read off! And its very compatible with the mac.

I know its a long shot but i'm having a bit of a revalation about it at the moment and well, just wanted to spread the word!

Hope you've got pages working for you :)

15. hayesatlbch macrumors newbie

Visual dyslexia

Visual dyslexia can be defined as a reading difficulty because of visual problems seeing text. It may or may not co-exist with the more common language processing problems associated with the majority of dyslexics.

Visual dyslexia and dyslexia both exist on a spectrum from mild to severe .

Visual dyslexia is generally experienced as a small scale problem because at a small scale the brain has a hard time with visual noise . While colored backgrounds may help some visual dyslexics see text better another technique that may be helpful is to adjust font size to be larger.

Visual dyslexics often report that they see fuzzy edges on objects but not on the interior. Normal text size is basically all edges and so all of the text may seem fuzzy or even missing due to the visual dyslexia. Increasing the font size effectively gives the text some stable interior volume that is not distorted and so easier to read. Since most dyslexics do not have visual problems , increasing font size is not beneficial to them.

Here is something for all the people who believe dyslexia is properly described as only a neurological brain problem. That conclusion is based on FMRI studies and yet it is still impossible to diagnose someone as being dyslexic or not by MRI. Every dyslexia intervention has non responders.

Much of the media reporting and books about dyslexia remove the qualifiers that the researchers use to describe their dyslexia study results.

Dyslexia is not a black or white condition. It is much better understood as a syndrome with a list of symptoms that the individual may or may not have. Visual problems that cause difficulty reading are a symptom that dyslexics may or may not have.

16. Wheaty macrumors regular

Wheaty

I agree. I like to think of it as a rather woolly condition. Its there, but has no clearly defined structure.

Anyway I some times find switching/ inverting the screen colours can help. for large blocks of text it reduces eye strain, which in turn can help make things a little easier to read. and its just a few key presses away.

command-option-control-8 invert the screen colors

Wheaty