E-bay MacBook Pro Scam? Too good to be true...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by design-is, Feb 19, 2008.

1. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

I was looking on e-bay whilst bored at work, waiting for the new MBP to be released, and found the following auctions:

Auction 1

Auction 2

I thought great, lets mail them and see if its real...:

They replied:

They have a high amount of good feedback, but all on cheap small items.
    Also, all bidders are 1***r, b***l, r***e, etc...

I'm thinking this is a scam... anyone else?

CT

2. eyup macrumors regular

eyup

Of course it's a scam - NEVER use Western Union to pay for ebay stuff. And they don't want you to use the ebay questions form either! (which is detailed in a picture and not text so ebay can't read it).

Stay clear.

ps I've reported them as suspicious to ebay

3. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

I once had someone trying to e-mail me from the states about a MBP,i went
    along with it received a mail saying i had to pay his mate who happened to
    live in spain via Western Union.I reported the seller to ebay and got him banned
    after ebay done some looking into it.

SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM stay WELL clear

Oh and before our US buddies pipe in i realise that your not all out to scam us Brits

4. design-is thread starter macrumors 65816

design-is

5. BryanLyle macrumors 6502a

BryanLyle

Certainly a scam. That email response you got is almost word for word what I received when I asked about a fishy G5 Power Mac auction several years ago.

As stated before, NEVER send money via Western Union.

6. jonswan macrumors regular

Be honest with yourself - why would they sell for $1000 when they could EASILY get $1750 - it makes no sense. Besides, the awful English is a serious give away.
    Sodding Apple store is down again - here's to another night biting the fingers....

7. MacForMeOneDay macrumors member

Even though I agree that this feels like a scam the bidders like 1***r are not indicating the real bidders. eBay recently added this feature of hiding the bidders usernames.

Its described here:
    http://pages.ebay.com/help/buy/bidding-ov.html#about

8. design-is thread starter macrumors 65816

design-is

9. chinarider macrumors regular

Even more....

Check these out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-Mac-Mini-...203456640QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item220203456640

http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-Mac-Mini-...203486015QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item220203486015

There are frequently a few of these up at the same time. Spidey Sense goes off because:

Look at the software - "Dual" license on FCP and Adobe CS3? Run on a Mac Mini? (although this particular one seems to have only 1 copy of CS3)

I have seen more than 20 of these listings, almost same exact listing - Sometimes with a Macbook, rarely with a MBP.

Acutions are usually only for 24 hours.

Different sellers come up with the same listing - Frequently with a brand new seller name, often that incude "IPhonexxx" or "Bidderxxx" - This is one of the only times that the seller has real feedback.

Each time, the different sellers originate from around Macon, Georgia.

And each time they use the weird "Escrow" account.

Plus, I have never seen Feedback ever produced for any of these listings - At least the ones that haven't been pulled by Ebay.

10. HoldFastHope macrumors 6502

This affects legit people trying to sell their stuff too. Nobody bids because they think they can get it cheaper.

11. flybriz macrumors newbie

RE: Scammers with positive feedback

I have been scammed by buyers before, and have seen questionable auctions such as these on eBay. The part that perplexed me was that the offender often had a good amount of positive feedback. As I found out, the scammers phish for people's eBay accounts and passwords, then take them over to run their scams. So don't use the positive feedback as a barometer for whether or not the seller is legit. They could have easily overtaken the account.

12. Mr Maui macrumors 65816

Mr Maui