e-bay seller - making unlocked claims

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sirees01, Jul 13, 2008.

1. sirees01 macrumors member

Can any of you guys offer advice on this.

I have an Orange contract sim card which worked perfectly well on my old 2g iPhone that I sold last week.
    I have been in touch with a seller who has 5 3G 16gb iPhone's for sale.
    He has insisted to me that the phone is Brand New & unlocked.
    I asked him to share how he had unlocked the 3G iPhone as the jailbreak had not even been released yet.
    His reply to me was
    hi , i can confrim to you that if you get the phone direct from apple you can get unlocked version. if you buy from o2 or cpw it will also be locked to o2., so i can confrim it is unlocked, becasue i purchased direct from apple wholeseller
    I am 99% sure this is not correct as itunes will ask for O2 simcard when connected to computer.
    Am I right or not ?

2. johnrs macrumors 6502a

TBH I would say that his claims are false. You cannot buy the 3G version from apple direct. The only way you get one form apple is to sign up as a new customer/contract and it will be locked

Unless he is a good mate of the iPhone dev team. :rolleyes:

3. kis macrumors 65816

it's a scam - 100%.

4. freediverdude macrumors 6502a

It sounds like he's trying to say that he got it from the factory directly. I don't know if I would believe that claim or not, I suppose its possible. Are you willing to waste money to find out?

5. Virgil-TB2 macrumors 65816

Virgil-TB2

Nah, this is the clue that he is lying.

He is trying to make out like it's "factory direct" or something like that, but Apple doesn't do that. There is no such thing as an "Apple wholesaler," (at least not in the sense he uses the term.)

You can buy an unlocked iPhone from Apple though, if you buy it in a European country that forces them to be sold unlocked.

*Note to future scan artists on ebay: claim you bought it in Belgium, not that you bought it from an "Apple wholesaler." ;)

6. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

could he have bought them from belgium or something?

7. sirees01 thread starter macrumors member

here's a further reply to my queries from him:

hi, i can defiatly confirm to you that becasue the phone was obtain directly from america apple wholesellers it will work with any uk sim card which i have tried, i can promise you that for a fact, contact apple to confrim just to assure yourself, it is only locked if it is from o2 uk or carphone warehouse uk . then it will be locked on o2 network only

8. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

hahahahaha lmfao

hes trying to sell you chinese iphone clones:rolleyes:

9. domcole macrumors regular

Personally, I never buy anything off any eBay seller who can't string a sentence together correctly! You cannot buy unlocked iPhones direct from o2.

10. s8film40 macrumors 6502

s8film40

I would check his feedback, make sure there's a good amount and almost all positive. Also next time you talk to him make it clear that if it is not a genuine iPhone that is unlocked you will leave negative feedback.

11. kis macrumors 65816

there are plenty of hi-jacked accounts, so no security there.