E-Book Reader and Apple Tablet

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by CrazyIllini, Dec 16, 2009.

1. CrazyIllini macrumors member

Two members in my family want an e-book reader for christmas this year, one being me. I've done my research and feel as if the Kindle is the best one on the market, however that would instantly change if apple introduced a tablet. That tablet could double as an e reader if it had an e-ink screen and/or could run apps like the Kindle app for iphone so I wouldn't have to repurchase books that we might buy on the kindle.
    That being said should we get one kindle and wait for the tablet (which is what I ultimately want), hold off until apple releases a tablet and get two of those or just get two kindles?

2. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

We've been waiting for an apple tablet for a long time. Spring for the kindles, they'll retain most of their value so even if you want to sell one when the tablet finally appears, you won't be out much money and you'll have gotten a fair amount of use out of it.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

So you've done research on the Kindle, but in the blink of an eye you would fall for a tablet you know absolutely nothing about? That's stupid.

4. CrazyIllini thread starter macrumors member

Apple is known for putting only their best products on the market. I bet I would be sold on it in five minutes.

5. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I'd get the Kindle now, they retain their value very well.

6. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

right after the $500 apple netbook comes out, then the apple tablet will happen.

So if you can wait until then (never?), you are golden.

shouldnt this be in the "macrumors news discussion" forum?

7. WilliamG macrumors 604

Get a kindle now. A tablet from Apple is NEVER going to use e-ink. e-ink doesn't have the refresh rate to be usable as a computer currently. Also, the kindle is just brilliant, and you know.... - exists. :)

8. Kenzembo1 macrumors 6502

Curious buyer...

How does the Kindle compare to the nook? Can you think of any pros and cons on either device?

9. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

check the reviews on youtube or various websites.

Nook
    Pros:
    +color touchscreen
    +loan books to friends (limited)
    +read books for free at B&N stores (limited to 1 hour per title)
    +Android?
    +epub support

Cons
    -sluggish compared to Kindle
    -thicker and heavier than Kindle
    -no international (yet) except using wifi

Kindle
    Pros
    +thin and slight
    +can use internationally

Cons
    -no memory expansion
    -no user replaceable battery

I think the software differences will disappear as more updates come out for both platforms.
    -no

10. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Here's a review from the wall street journal. It looks as though the Nook isn't nearly as polished as the Kindle is. The Nook will probably be a better buy after the next update, I would think.

11. Kenzembo1 macrumors 6502

Thanks guys!

I read a few things online and watched a couple YouTube vids, but I wanted to see what you guys had to say about both platforms...seems to confirm what others are saying. The Kindle is no doubt a more polished device, but I can't wait to see the next gen Nook.

12. iOrlando macrumors 68000

both don't interest me. I would wait for apple's product, even if that means 1-2 years.

13. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed, a tablet or computer just would not be able to function with an e-ink screen.

14. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

Another vote for kindle...you will be able to buy(hopefully) 2 kindles in the price of the tablet...will you use a +$600(as rumors say) tablet as an ebook reader?!

just buy kindle now and when tablet comes out then sell it on ebay and buy the tablet if you think it would be worth it...