E-book Reader

beebarb

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2015
I used to just use iBooks, until around the time of OS X 10.9 and the introduction of the seperate iBooks app, lead to manual sync breaking for the iBooks iOS app.

Now, I'm kinda looking for a replacement that allows me to add my books manually again.
I use goodreader for the PDFs, but I haven't found one for EPUB that I like yet.

dgdosen

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2003
Seattle
I also find that iBooks/iTunes syncing problems (constant re-sync of all books) was painful enough that I tried Marvin. And while I don't like some aspects of Marvin - I REALLY like the idea to turn your reading display to warmer colors at night. That's a huge plus for me...

konjecture

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2015
If you have lot's of technical books (like in Mathematics), and if some of them are in DjVu format then the best ebook reader which reads DjVu files (along with everything else) is KyBook. However, if you don't have any DjVu's then there are other reader apps. But for me KyBook does the job for everything.

Last edited:

Mivo

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2015
Germany
I do more reading on my Nexus 7 due to the more suitable format (I find the Air 2 a little large for e-book reading), but my favorite iOS reader would be Marvin. The developer seems to have dropped the ball a bit, and Calbire syncing doesn't seem to be working in iOS 9, but feature-wise I really like it. iBooks is rather inflexible with few customization features.

RickTaylor

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2013
I use pdfexpert for reading pdfs. It has a nice interface, and scrolls pdf documents vertically. Another pdf reader that also has that feature is iAnnotate.

RickTaylor

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2013
If you have lot's of technical books (like in Mathematics), and if some of them are in DjVu format then the best ebook reader which reads DjVu files (along with everything else) is KyBook. However, if you don't have any DjVu's then there are other reader apps. But for me KyBook does the job for everything.
I've been looking for a good djvu reader. This one looks nice and has a 30 day trial period. Thanks for the recommendation.

Mivo

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2015
Germany
I should add that I use Marvin only for ePub e-books. For PDFs, I'm a fan of the already mentioned GoodReader.

Frosties

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2009
Sweden
Bluefire have been my app that see use besides iBooks for years. It's ok, when iBooks have issues often bluefire works showing how I want to read the book. Will have to check out the mentioned titles as it has been some time I looked at alternative apps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.