E-Commerce systems

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by tomoisyourgod, Aug 24, 2007.

1. tomoisyourgod macrumors regular

Right... in a nutshell, I'm opening an e-commerce site, and was wondering what experience you have with open source cms systems such as osCommerce etc...

Is it possible to change the URL to help with good google rankings? I know this helps on the old SEO front, as the company i currently work for writes the product name within the URL eg. website.com/sim-free-nokia-n95 and it helps no end...

What's your recommendations/knowledge/views on this?

2. rajfantastic macrumors member

rajfantastic

i have had a lot of trouble getting OSCommerce to produce SEO-friendly URLS (FURLs), especially on shared servers, and I don't have the patience to try it with my zencart stores.

3. vicious7 macrumors 6502a

vicious7

I think CMSs like Drupal and Joomla are great alternatives. You would have to source e-commerce and SEO/SEF plug-ins for them but they are in abundance. Plus the community support with either is second to none.

4. tomoisyourgod thread starter macrumors regular

I'm gonna give OScommerce a whirl - see how it works... I'll put the link up here when done, I'll design my own template as well I reckon, i doesn't look great as standard...